Premier Lin Chuan (林全) yesterday said that “Chinese Taipei,” a name Taiwan uses in many international organizations, is “unsatisfactory, but acceptable.”
Lin made the remarks in response to criticism over Minister of Health and Welfare Lin Tzou-yien’s (林奏延) use of “Chinese Taipei” rather than “Taiwan” throughout his five-minute speech on Wednesday at the 69th World Health Assembly (WHA) in Geneva, Switzerland.
“It is reality that we are participating in international organizations under this name, hoping that our participation in international activities and the opportunities to engage in international exchanges and our chance to contribute to the world would not be impeded,” Lin said.
Lin, who is leading the Taiwanese delegation at the WHA, on Wednesday told reporters that he had delivered a protest letter to the WHA to complain about its reference to the “one China” principle in its invitation to Taiwan this year.
Lin said he delivered the letter in person on Monday to a legal counsel of the WHO, asking the person to hand it over to WHO Director-General Margaret Chan (陳馮富珍).
In the letter, he wrote that the principle behind the nation’s attendance at the WHA is to be professional and pragmatic and to contribute to and participate in the global health system, Lin said, adding that Taiwan’s participation has nothing to do with politics or the “one China” principle.
The letter also conveyed Taiwan’s protest over the WHA’s late invitation, Lin said.
Taiwan, which has been taking part in WHA activities since 2009, received an invitation this year that made reference to the “one China” principle and said that Taiwan is no longer a member of the UN or the WHO.
For the first time, the invitation mentioned UN Resolution 2758, WHA Resolution 25.1, and the “one China” principle.
The first resolution was passed by the UN in 1971, recognizing the People’s Republic of China as the only legitimate representative of China to the UN, while the second resolution was adopted by the WHO in 1972 to expel the Republic of China.
The inclusion of the “one China” principle in the invitation was seen in Taiwan as an attempt to denigrate its sovereignty.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has
Carrefour Taiwan is to begin using a new name from the start of July, but it cannot divulge the name until then, the chairman of the supermarket chain's parent company said today. President Chain Store Co chairman Lo Chih-hsien (羅智先) was asked by reporters after a shareholders' meeting to confirm whether the company has settled on a new name for the supermarket brand. In March, the government-registered name of two Carrefour Taiwan branches was quietly changed to "Le Chia Kang" (樂家康) in Chinese, raising speculation that has been selected as the name. Lo said that because of local regulations and contractual obligations, the