Authorities in Tainan yesterday continued their investigation into a family tragedy in which a couple allegedly committed suicide by burning charcoal inside their rented apartment, taking the lives of their three children with them.
Police said they are interviewing neighbors, the landlord and the building’s security guard to determine if foul play was involved.
The bodies of the five members of the family were discovered inside the master bedroom on Tuesday afternoon, and police identified them as a man surnamed Wang (王), 40, his wife, surnamed Chen (陳), 36, and their three sons, aged seven, six and two.
Investigators and forensic doctors re-examined the site yesterday, saying they will likely conduct an autopsy.
Preliminary assessment indicated the apparent family suicide might have taken place a few days before, since they had not been seen outside of the house for some time and the elder children had not attended school since Friday last week.
Advocates for children’s rights said children have a right to live, regardless of their parents’ circumstances.
Taiwan Fund for Children and Families executive Lee Pao-liang (李保良) said he was saddened by the tragedy.
“Children are innocent; they must not be deprived of their life. They are our nation’s assets, and not the private property of the parents,” he said.
When a family encounters difficulties, they should discuss the problem with friends and relatives, or seek assistance from the social welfare system, and must have the courage to face problems to give themselves an opportunity to turn it around, Lee said.
Police said the couple allegedly committed suicide due to financial difficulties, since they had not paid rent for four months and might have had other debts.
Friends said that Wang had lost money in bad investments, and was working at a low-paying job at a car rental company.
Investigators said the couple wrote on the walls with a brush pen phrases about “hate and bitterness” and “for our next life, we don’t want to come back as humans.”
Friends said they only married earlier this year, with the two elder children coming from the wife’s previous marriage.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has