The personal data of some of the users of Chunghwa Post’s online shopping Web site have been leaked following a hack into the system on Wednesday last week, the company confirmed yesterday.
Spokeswoman Wang Shu-ming (王淑敏) said that the hacker broke into the dataset containing the orders that have been made by its Post Mall subscribers since October last year, adding that the orders contain the names of persons placing the orders, as well their telephone numbers, addresses, e-mails, and the items and quantities they purchased.
However, the data did not contain users’ bank account numbers, credit card numbers, personal ID numbers and birthdays, Wang said.
About 17,000 orders have been stolen, she said.
The hacker broke into the system at about 10pm on Wednesday when the site’s vendors were updating their product information, she said.
The company then received a telephone call on Thursday last week from a buyer who said that he was duped into paying more than NT$20,000 (US$611) for Yu He Pao lychees that he purchased from Post Mall, Wang said.
“The victim said that he only ordered one box and later received a telephone call from someone claiming to be a Post Mall administrator, who said the victim had ordered 12 boxes. The victim was told that he needed to change the quantity at the ATM and ended up paying NT$23,894 for the transaction,” Wang said, adding that a box of Yu He Pao lychees costs NT$495.
The hacker appeared to specifically target orders for Yu He Pao lychees because the fruit is in season, she said.
Apart from that victim, Wang said the company had received between 70 and 80 telephone calls from Post Mall subscribers reporting fraud.
She said that she had received a telephone call from the fraudster herself because she had purchased lychees from Post Mall.
The person who spoke to her on the telephone seemed to have a Chinese accent, she said, adding that the company’s technical specialists also identified the hacker’s IP address as being in China.
In addition to reporting the telephone scam to the police, Wang said the company has changed the settings of the network and enhanced its firewall to better protect the personal data of its subscribers.
The company will compensate the man who called on Thursday for his loss, she said.
The incident was the first time Post Mall’s data security was compromised. Established in October last year, Post Mall has 2,000 vendors and sells more than 26,000 items, with annual revenue exceeding NT$300 million.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not