A legislative hearing turned stormy yesterday as Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) Deputy Minister Shih Hui-fen (施惠芬) was grilled over Kenya’s deportation of eight Taiwanese to China and lawmakers criticized the council for its lack of information on the matter.
The Legislative Yuan’s Finance Committee and Internal Administration Committee had jointly convened a morning meeting to examine the central government’s general financial statement for the 2014 fiscal year.
However, after news broke an hour before the scheduled start of the meeting that eight Taiwanese recently acquitted in a telecommunication fraud case in Kenya had been deported to China on Friday, several legislators called up Shih — the highest-ranking council official at the meeting — to answer questions about the incident.
Photo: Chien Jung-fong, Taipei Times
New Power Party Legislator Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) asked Shih about the eight’s whereabouts.
“They were acquitted in Kenya. Our understanding is that the Ministry of Foreign Affairs had sought to arrange for their return to Taiwan, but China later took them to the mainland. The Ministry of Justice and the Criminal Investigation Bureau are contacting their Chinese counterparts to address the matter,” Shih told Huang.
“So in other words, you have no idea where they are?” Huang said.
“We still need to make some horizontal communications,” Shih replied.
Huang was not satisfied by Shih’s answer to his question about how China had pressured the Kenyan police into deporting the Taiwanese to China and when they would be returned home.
“You often tout the benefits of cross-strait treaties, but this incident will serve as a test as to whether your words can actually match reality,” Huang said before urging the council to “toughen up” and keep the public informed of the latest developments in the deportation case.
Fielding questions from Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Legislator Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆), Shih said the council was notified of the deportations about midnight on Friday and that it was only aware that the plane carrying the eight had flown to Guangzhou, China.
“The deportation of the eight Taiwanese to China violated a consensus reached between Taipei and Beijing following a similar incident in 2011 that their nationals who commit wrongdoings in a foreign nation should be deported to their respective countries,” Shih said.
She was referring to the Philippines’ deportation of 14 Taiwanese fraud suspects to China for trial in February 2011.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Lee Ying-yuan (李應元) asked Shih if the cross-strait hotline between the council and China’s Taiwan Affairs Office, set up in December last year, had played any part in the council’s efforts to ensure the eight are returned home.
As of yesterday morning, the hotline had yet to be connected, Shih said.
“Now should be the best time to use the cross-strait hotline. If you do not use the hotline, then what is the point of setting it up in the first place?” Lee said.
“President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) historic meeting with Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) in Singapore in November last year will be meaningless if such a simple matter cannot be addressed,” Lee said.
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying:
BILINGUAL ASSISTANCE: The center launched a chat bot that features Chinese and English interfaces to provide foreigners with instant information about the pandemic The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday said that it would discuss with other nations the possibility of allowing businesspeople to visit on a case-by-case basis. Asked about loosening border restrictions, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung (陳時中), who heads the center, said at the daily CECC news briefing that while the center is cautious about opening the nation’s borders, it would aim to diminish obstacles for important trade interactions without risking transmission of the novel coronavirus. Several foreign representatives in Taiwan have expressed an interest in the matter and the center would conduct related negotiations with the help of the