The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday said it has taken note of a statement by the US government encouraging Taipei and Beijing to continue their efforts to maintain peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait.
“We acknowledge that the US encourages the two sides to continue to engage in dialogue and would work on it,” DPP spokesperson Wang Min-sheng (王閔生) said. “Maintaining peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait is the shared responsibility of the two sides, and the DPP will continue to work on it.”
Wang thanked the US for keeping its promises as stated in the Taiwan Relations Act.
He was responding to remarks made by US National Security Council Senior Director for Asian Affairs Dan Kritenbrink in a news conference on Thursday, prior to a meeting between US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平).
On a question related to Taiwan, Kritenbrink said he expected the issue of Taiwan to be raised in the meeting, because it almost always comes up in any meeting between the two presidents.
“What I am confident will happen, if and when that issue is raised, is that President Obama will make very clear that we remain committed to our ‘one China’ policy based on both the Three Joint Communiques and the Taiwan Relations Act,” Kritenbrink said.
Under the act, Washington agrees to provide Taiwan the means to defend itself, including arms sales. In the Three Joint Communiques, signed by the US and the People’s Republic of China as the two sides normalized relations in the 1970s and 1980s, both sides agreed to respect each other’s national sovereignty and territorial integrity, and the US formally acknowledged the desire of Chinese for a unified and undivided China.
“Our fundamental national interest, of course, is in the maintenance of peace and stability across the Taiwan Strait. We have encouraged both counterparts in Beijing and in Taipei to continue that work as the new DPP administration under Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) comes into power in Taipei” on May 20, Kritenbrink added.
Additional reporting by Loa Iok-sin
A total lunar eclipse coinciding with the Lantern Festival on March 3 would be Taiwan’s most notable celestial event this year, the Taipei Astronomical Museum said, urging skywatchers not to miss it. There would be four eclipses worldwide this year — two solar eclipses and two lunar eclipses — the museum’s Web site says. Taiwan would be able to observe one of the lunar eclipses in its entirety on March 3. The eclipse would be visible as the moon rises at 5:50pm, already partly shaded by the Earth’s shadow, the museum said. It would peak at about 7:30pm, when the moon would
A New York-based NGO has launched a global initiative to rename the nation’s overseas missions, most of which operate under the name "Taipei," to "Taiwan Representative Office (TRO)," according to a news release. Ming Chiang (江明信), CEO of Hello Taiwan, announced the campaign at a news conference in Berlin on Monday, coinciding with the World Forum held from Monday through Wednesday, the institution stated in the release. Speaking at the event, Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Huang Jie (黃捷) said she believed this renaming campaign would enable the international community to see Taiwan
DEFENSE: The US should cancel the US visas or green cards of relatives of KMT and TPP lawmakers who have been blocking the budget, Grant Newsham said A retired US Marine Corps officer has suggested canceling the US green cards and visas of relatives of opposition Taiwanese lawmakers who have been stalling the review of a proposed NT$1.25 trillion (US$39.7 billion) special defense budget. The Executive Yuan has proposed the budget for major weapons purchases over eight years, from this year to 2033. However, opposition lawmakers have refused to review the proposal, demanding that President William Lai (賴清德) first appear before the Legislative Yuan to answer questions about the proposed budget. On Thursday last week, 37 bipartisan US lawmakers sent a letter to Legislative Speaker Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜), the heads
TOO DANGEROUS: The families agreed to suspend crewed recovery efforts that could put rescuers in danger from volcanic gases and unstable terrain The bodies of two Taiwanese tourists and a Japanese pilot have been located inside a volcanic crater, Japanese authorities said yesterday, nearly a month after a sightseeing helicopter crashed during a flight over southwestern Japan. Drone footage taken at the site showed three bodies near the wreckage of the aircraft inside a crater on Mount Aso in Kumamoto Prefecture, police and fire officials said. The helicopter went missing on Jan. 20 and was later found on a steep slope inside the Nakadake No. 1 Crater, about 50m below the rim. Authorities said that conditions at the site made survival highly unlikely, and ruled