The New Power Party (NPP) caucus yesterday proposed draft legislation to prevent media monopolies and to maintain media pluralism to address issues that sparked protests against media monopolization in 2012.
The proposal seeks to limit media mergers, stipulating that a company cannot own more than three of the seven types of media businesses — cable TV; terrestrial TV; Internet protocol broadcasts; national radio stations; news and business channels; national daily newspapers; and channel distribution agencies — to prevent media conglomerates from interfering with freedom of the press.
The draft upholds the principle of “separation between media and financial institutions,” prohibiting holding companies, banks and insurance companies, as well as their owners, from launching, operating or controlling a media company in any way to prevent wealthy companies and individuals from meddling with media autonomy.
“The draft bill derives from the movement against media monopolization in 2012 and 2013. The act was formulated based on protesters’ demands to draw a red line against the concentration of media ownership,” NPP Legislator Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) said.
The movement against the monopolization of the media arose from a planned merger between Want Want China Times Group and a major cable TV network provider, as well as the group’s purchase of Next Media Group’s media outlets.
According to the NPP’s draft, media companies should entitle their employees to the right to select an independent board member that does not have any relationship with the company to improve public interest.
Public interest groups should be allowed to file lawsuits against media mergers that could lead to the concentration of media ownership or against government agencies that fail to protect the freedoms of speech and media pluralism.
A “newsroom agreement” should be negotiated between owners and employees of media companies to ensure autonomous working conditions, and agreements should have the same legal force as other agreements made between employers and employees, the draft stipulated.
The draft also proposed the establishment of a “media pluralism fund” to encourage local providers to produce their own programming. TV and radio stations would be required to divert 1 percent of their yearly revenue to the fund if more than 30 percent of the programs they air are not produced in Taiwan.
“Although the major parties formulated and touted similar draft legislation against media monopolization in 2013, which was reviewed by the Legislative Yuan’s Transportation Committee, the bill was not submitted to the general assembly for approval due to lobbying by interest groups. Hence, we have to start all over again,” Huang said.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,