Minister of Economic Affairs John Deng (鄧振中) denied that the consultation team the ministry sent to China yesterday to prepare for the next round of negotiations over a possible cross-strait trade in goods agreement went to China “sneakily,” as some have alleged.
At a Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus news conference, Deng said the team dispatched by the ministry did not go to China in secret, nor was the meeting planned “in a black box.”
To the Democratic Progressive Party legislative caucus’ disapproval, who called for a suspension of related negotiations until after elections on Saturday next week, which are to produce lawmakers “representing new public opinion,” KMT caucus whip Lai Shyh-bao (賴士葆) said that since the new government would not be formed until May 20, it is laudable that the incumbent administration has not been slacking off due to the upcoming elections.
Lai also called on DPP presidential candidate Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) to clearly state her stance on the trade in goods agreement.
Deng said that because the agreement could greatly boost Taiwan’s employment rate, the ministry does not want to slow down the negotiations’ pace just because of the elections.
“This is what industries need and is crucial to Taiwan’s future employment environment. There is nothing problematic about [the proceedings concerning negotiations over trade in goods with China]; the point is rather whether we would successfully get what we want in the negotiations,” Deng said.
“We need to have faith in the democratic system,” the minister said, adding that the cross-strait trade in goods agreement, if signed, would still have to be submitted to the legislature for deliberation.
Slamming those who allege the agreement would open Taiwan to all kinds of Chinese agricultural products as “distorting the facts,” Deng said President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration has over the past eight years kept the nation’s markets closed to imports of more than 500 kinds of agricultural products and would not grant a green light to all of the Chinese agricultural goods.
“However, we do not have to straitjacket ourselves, if opening up to certain Chinese agricultural products that are not produced in Taiwan and pose no harm to Taiwan’s food safety could bring us greater market and export advantages,” Deng said, adding that Taiwanese agricultural goods ran a trade surplus totaling US$100 million against China last year, when only two or three years ago, they were still posting a trade deficit.
“It shows that Taiwanese agricultural products are competitive and the market for them is slowing,” Deng said.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: