Attorneys volunteering to represent people who participated in the Sunflower movement protests last year against the government’s handling of the cross-strait service trade agreement yesterday submitted a petition to the Taipei City Government asking for state compensation on behalf of 30 alleged victims of state violence.
Taipei Deputy Commissioner of Legal Affairs Lin Shu-hua (林淑華) accepted the petition on behalf of the city government.
Last month, Lin Ming-hui (林明慧) won a lawsuit accusing the state of violence after he sustained a head injury after being apprehended by police officers in a protest in front of the Executive Yuan on March 24 last year.
Photo: Hsiao Ting-fang, Taipei Times
Lin Ming-hui had filed an administrative lawsuit against the Executive Yuan, the Taipei City Government, the National Police Agency and the Taipei Police Department for violating the Act Governing the Use of Police Weapons (警械使用條例).
The Taipei District Court ruled that the Taipei City Government had to compensate Lin Min-hui NT$300,000 (US$9,150) for the head injury, which the city chose not to appeal.
Citing the case, the attorneys said they are seeking restitution of approximately NT$10.06 million on behalf of 30 alleged victims of violence.
Lawyer Wellington Koo (顧立雄) said that the police officer who attacked Lin Ming-hui has yet to be identified, meaning that nobody could be held accountable.
After a similar situation at a protest against the Ministry of Education’s adjustments to the high-school curriculum guidelines on July 23, in which the police officer who attacked protesters was not identified, Koo said the city government should establish standard procedures regulating how the police enforce laws at protests in which police officers must properly identify themselves when enforcing the law.
Chen Yu-fan (陳雨凡), a lawyer with the Judicial Reform Foundation, said the lawyers representing the victims are discussing if they should continue to attempt to hold the Executive Yuan and the National Police Agency legally accountable for the violent acts committed against protesters during demonstrations.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not