The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday called on Deputy Legislative Speaker Hung Hsiu-chu (洪秀柱) to clarify her stance on the Ministry of Education’s “minor adjustment” to high-school curriculum guidelines, following coordinated nationwide protests by high-school students.
“So far, there have been students from as many as 227 schools taking part in the campaign against the opaque curriculum changes, and the DPP has repeatedly called on the government to immediately retract the plan to alter curriculum guidelines for history textbooks in such an illegitimate way,” DPP spokesperson Cheng Yun-peng (鄭運鵬) said. “The government should consult academics, teachers and other professionals to transparently adjust curriculum guidelines.”
“Hung, who is seeking the Chinese Nationalist Party’s [KMT] presidential candidacy, should clarify her own stance on the issue,” Cheng said.
The DPP spokesperson made the call following a series of protests by high-school students nationwide against the ministry’s plan to implement the adjustments to the curriculum guidelines, a move that they believe would lead to de-Taiwanization and a China-centric history education.
In an apparent bid to quell anger among students, Minister of Education Wu Se-hwa (吳思華) on Tuesday night attended a conference at National Taichung First Senior High School, which was the first school to protest against the ministry’s plan.
Students surrounded Wu’s car as he was preparing to leave the campus, saying that the minister had avoided addressing their real concerns, which triggered minor clashes.
HASTY PLAN: Instructors must teach in a language they are not fluent in, while students are forced to learn new subjects in a tongue they do not know, teachers said The National Federation of Teachers Unions (NFTU) yesterday urged the government to thoroughly review its Bilingual 2030 policy, saying it has caused problems in elementary and high schools, and might affect the quality of education in other subjects. The government on March 28 changed its original “Bilingual Nation 2030” plan to the “Bilingual 2030” plan, no longer aiming to turn Taiwan into a Mandarin-English bilingual nation by 2030, NFTU president Hou Chun-liang (侯俊良) told a news conference in Taipei. Despite the change, the policy’s budget, resources and most of its content remain the same, causing unusual scenes on campuses, he said. Cheng Chi-yi
‘STILL RISKY’: The quarantine requirement for arrivals cannot be lifted, as COVID-19 cases have been rising in Europe and the US, the minister of health and welfare said The government might consider dropping a negative COVID-19 test result requirement for travelers from low-risk countries, but lifting the quarantine requirement for inbound travelers is still risky, the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) said yesterday. The CECC on Monday said it does not plan to further loosen border controls soon. National Taiwan University Children’s Hospital superintendent Huang Li-min (黃立民) said the “3+4” quarantine policy separates inbound travelers from family members for only three days, which is not enough to block the spread of the virus, so the government might consider changing it to a “0+7” policy. He also said that it might
Taiwanese singer Miu Chu (朱俐靜) passed away over the weekend after a battle with breast cancer, her family announced yesterday. She was 40 years old. The family wrote on Chu’s Facebook fan page that she died peacefully. “Thank you all for your concern. Miu, who was always full of laughter and always brought people positive energy with her music, left us peacefully on July 3,” the family said. The family asked for privacy at this time and said that details of a memorial service would be announced later. Chu was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2020. She was an alumna of the TV reality show
VIRUS TRACES: Macau is not following international standards, with the WHO saying that COVID-19 cannot be transmitted on packaging, the Council of Agriculture said Macau on Saturday placed a ban on mango imports from a Taiwanese company after traces of the COVID-19 virus were allegedly detected in a shipment, the second such ban in two days. The Macau Municipal Affairs Bureau placed a one-week suspension on the unnamed company’s imports after samples collected from external packaging of its products allegedly tested positive for the nucleic acid of SARS-CoV-2. The batches of mangoes from which the samples were collected have been destroyed, the bureau said, adding that the ban is “aimed at protecting Macau residents instead of targeting specific countries or regions.” However, there is “currently no evidence