Taiwan recruited 10,906 Vietnamese workers during the first two months of this year, making it Vietnam’s largest labor export market, according to the latest official data from Hanoi.
A total of 17,206 Vietnamese were sent abroad to work in the two-month period, according to a Wednesday report on VGA News, the Vietnamese government-run newspaper Web site, which cited statistics compiled by the Vietnamese Overseas Labor Management Department.
The report said that last month, 8,537 Vietnamese workers were sent abroad, including 5,770 to Taiwan, 1,884 to Japan and 295 to Saudi Arabia.
Taiwan is expected to hire more workers from Vietnam this year as it is planning to end a freeze on the hiring of Vietnamese fishermen, caregivers and domestic helpers.
Minister of Labor Chen Hsiung-wen (陳雄文) on Thursday said that the arrangements for the hiring of Vietnamese workers for such industries could be finalized before June at the earliest.
Authorities from the two sides are expected to hold a meeting at the end of this month to discuss Taiwan’s lifting of a decade-old ban on Vietnamese domestic workers and caregivers, while a ministerial-level meeting between the two sides could take place next month, Chen said.
Due to a serious absconding problem, Taiwan imposed a ban on Vietnamese fishermen in May 2004 and froze imports of Vietnamese caregivers and domestic maids in January 2005, although workers in other categories are not covered by the freeze.
Pending a plan by Indonesia to gradually reduce the number of domestic workers it sends to Taiwan and other nations in the Asia-Pacific region, Taiwan, which has more than 174,000 Indonesian caregivers, has been planning to reinstate the hiring of fishing crew and domestic helpers from Vietnam, as well as introducing workers from other nations.
According to official statistics, of the about 219,000 foreign caregivers in Taiwan, 79 percent are from Indonesia.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a