The nation’s two World War II-era submarines are undergoing major renovations to upgrade their capabilities, but the Navy and the contractor might dismantle one to gain sub-building experience and study the manufacturing techniques, Minister of National Defense Kao Kuang-chi (高廣圻) said yesterday.
Kao made the remarks in response to questions from legislators yesterday regarding upgrades on the 70-year-old subs.
The upgrades are being undertaken at the Navy’s shipyard and by the China Shipbuilding Corp (CSBC) in Kaohsiung Harbor.
The US-built Hao Si (海獅, sea lion) and Hai Pao (海豹, seal) have been derided as antiques worthy of display in a naval museum.
However, both are still on active duty, a situation that critics contend highlights the nation’s struggle to modernize its submarine fleet, and also accents the navy’s lack of knowledge about new submarine technology.
Kao denied recent news reports that CSBC was looking to cancel its contract for the maintenance and renovation of the subs.
“The work to upgrade the submarines is still ongoing — it was not canceled — but we have to discuss the matter with CSBC to clarify the issues,” Kao said.
The ministry still plans to bolster the navy with new submarines, either purchasing them from foreign nations, or developing an indigenous sub program, he said.
“If we can get assistance and technical support from other nations, then I will support building the submarines ourselves,” Kao said.
Some legislators voiced concern that CSBC lacks experience in the maintenance and repair of submarines and has few qualified technicians, saying that the reassembly of a dismantled sub could be problematic.
Kao replied the major renovations and upgrades are under way, and if CSBC and the naval docks are unable to reassemble the submarines, then one submarine would be refurbished while the other is used to develop insight into the technology involved.
Vice Admiral Shang Jung-chiang (尚永強), assistant chief of staff for logistics at the ministry’s General Staff Headquarters, said CSBC has been reluctant to provide a cost estimate for the tender because of problems with the submarines’ stern and the hull’s oval structure.
Taiwan might be China’s next target after it has “walled off” Hong Kong from the rest of the world with its new national security legislation, Academia Sinica Institute of Sociology fellow Wu Jieh-min (吳介民) said on Thursday. At a seminar organized by the Economic Democracy Union, the Taiwan Association for Human Rights, the Hong Kong Outlanders and the Judicial Reform Foundation, Wu said that the legislation is simultaneously a fig leaf concealing Beijing’s autocratic rule in Hong Kong and a figurative “Berlin Wall,” denying democratic countries access to Hong Kong. Wu said it is evident that Taiwan would be China’s next target. The
The Fancy Frontier manga and anime expo held in Taipei over the weekend has sparked controversy, after a participant allegedly contravened the Act on Offenses Against Sexual Morality (妨害風化罪) by publicly exposing her private parts during a photo shoot. The two-day event opened at the Expo Dome at the Taipei Expo Park on Saturday, attracting numerous comic and anime creators, cosplayers, photographers and fans. Allegedly, a female cosplayer who was not wearing any underwear lifted up her skirt and revealed her private parts at an outdoor photography area near the venue. Event organizers said yesterday that to prevent indecent exposure, they have since
YOUNGEST PATIENT: Cases of botulism have been only sporadically reported over the past few years, with two in 2015, six in 2016 and none in the past three years The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) yesterday reported the nation’s first case of infant botulism this year, a four-month-old boy in northern Taiwan, as well as five new cases of Japanese encephalitis confirmed last week. The boy was introduced to homemade solid food in the middle of last month, but began to experience constipation and loss of appetite on June 23, CDC Epidemic Intelligence Center Deputy Director Guo Hung-wei (郭宏偉) said, adding that he was taken to the hospital when he developed a fever and shortness of breath on June 25. In the hospital, the boy also experienced a rapid heartbeat, limb
The National Taiwan Museum’s Railway Department Park in Taipei is to open to the public today. The park in Datong District (大同) near the North Gate (北門, Beimen) is one of the museum’s four branches. During the Japanese colonial era, the site housed the railway department of the Office of the Governor-General of Taiwan’s Bureau of Transportation. After World War II, it served as the headquarters for the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) for several decades. In 2007, it was listed as a national monument under the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法). At an opening ceremony yesterday, Minister of Transportation and Communications Lin Chia-lung