Greater Taoyuan Mayor Cheng Wen-tsan’s (鄭文燦) endorsement of the Taoyuan Aerotropolis project has drawn furious opposition from local residents and activist groups.
The Aerotropolis project requires the expropriation of more than 3,000 hectares of private land housing about 46,000 people, making it the largest eviction plan in the nation’s history. It would see commercial and residential areas, as well as a free economic pilot zone, established around Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport.
The groups said that Cheng supporting the project made him seem “schizophrenic” toward the issue, because when he was running for mayor on the Democratic Progressive Party’s ticket, he had vowed to reconsider it.
The criticism was sparked by remarks Cheng made at a municipal meeting in Taoyuan on Wednesday, where he said he would refrain from “making any hasty modifications” to the Aerotropolis project, since the plan has already been approved and changing it would “affect land prices in the area.”
He said that the area designated for development would serve as a local commercial hub in the future, adding that the construction plans should be implemented according to the principles of democratic participation and transparency.
Led by the Taiwan Association of Human Rights (TAHR) and the Taoyuan Aerotropolis Self-Help Organization, dozens of protesters rallied outside the Executive Yuan in Taipei yesterday, where Cheng was attending a meeting.
The groups also blasted Premier Mao Chih-kuo (毛治國) and Minister of Transportation and Communications Yeh Kuang-shih (葉匡時) for “recklessly imposing” the plan.
“We wonder if Cheng has buckled under pressure from the central government,” TAHR deputy secretary-general Wang Pao-hsuan (王寶萱) said. “We urge Cheng to fulfill the promises he made to his voters.”
Given that the environmental impact assessment of a proposal to build a third runway at the airport is not set to take place until 2022, it is unreasonable to make land expropriation plans now, Wang said.
National Chengchi University professor Hsu Shih-jung (徐世榮) said the amount of land expropriations carried out in a country can be seen as an indicator of the development of human rights.
Taiwan’s land seizure legislation was established during the Martial Law era — legally equipping the government to abuse its power in this area, Hsu added.
In response, Cheng said that any expropriation for the Aerotropolis project would only be executed with the consent of local residents, adding that any changes to core areas of the plan would need to be negotiated with the central government.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not