The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday said President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) should report to Taipei prosecutors and explain the charges his administration has brought against former Mainland Affairs Council deputy minister Chang Hsieh-yao (張顯耀).
Prosecutors should also subpoena Premier Jiang Yi-huah (江宜樺), National Security Council Secretary-General King Pu-tsung (金溥聰) and Mainland Affairs Council Minister Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦), the DPP said.
Chang is under investigation by Taipei prosecutors for allegedly leaking to China state secrets related to cross-strait negotiations.
Chang has repeatedly denied the accusations, saying he was just a “chess piece” at the mercy of his “superiors.”
Effective measures should be put in place to prevent collusion between Ma, Jiang, King and Wang, who are all Chang’s superiors, DPP spokesperson Huang Di-ying (黃帝穎) said.
Ma is obliged to appear before prosecutors over the case not only because he was Chang’s superior, but because he received a letter from Chang — as confirmed by the Presidential Office last week — containing information relating to allegations that Chang had leaked state secrets, Huang said.
The spate of media reports quoting unnamed sources at the Mainland Affairs Council, the Ministry of Justice’s Investigation Bureau and the National Security Council may have encouraged collusion among the suspects, as well as the suppression and destruction of evidence to hinder the investigation, he said.
Huang urged prosecutors to apply compulsory measures to preserve evidence, including search, seizure and interrogation of suspects, including Ma.
In response, Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) spokesperson Charles Chen (陳以信) said the DPP should refrain from trying to interfere with a judicial investigation.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a