The Taiwan Fund for Children and Families yesterday voiced its concern over the increasing number of children from economically disadvantaged families who are exposed to illegal drugs, citing a survey that tracked more than 4,000 children from these families over a five-year period.
“In 2009, we picked 4,000 from the 50,000 children that the foundation helps take care of and tracked them for five years,” foundation executive director Betty Ho (何素秋) told a news conference in Taipei yesterday.
“Over the years, we have noticed many issues that need more public attention. However, there is one issue that is particularly worrying, and that is nearly 10 percent of respondents in the focus group said they have seen illegal drugs either through friends or in nightclubs,” Ho said.
Photo: Chen Ping-hung, Taipei Times
“Ten percent of 4,000 children, that is 400 [children]. It is a huge number,” Ho added.
Foundation research and development director Wei Chi-li (魏季李) agreed, adding that the problem was worsening.
“According to our figures, as many as 6.9 percent of the children surveyed said they had seen illegal drugs [in 2009], and the number jumped to 9.6 percent this time,” Wei said. “If they have seen illegal drugs, some of them may have actually done drugs, so it is a really a cause for concern.”
Aside from the drug issue, a large percentage of children from disadvantaged families face more challenges in life.
“These children face three major problems: the first is food, second is education and third is coping with daily life,” Ho said.
She added that this year’s survey showed that more than 40 percent of respondents said they skip breakfast, more than 60 percent said they do not regularly have three meals a day and 30 percent said they intentionally skip meals to help their families save money.
“As for education, most of the families cannot afford to send their children to tutorial classes. More than 70 percent of the parents also said they do not have time to help their children with their homework because they are busy working to make a living,” Ho said.
To help the government and academics better understand the problems that children from disadvantaged families face, Ho said the group has created a database on children of disadvantaged families.
“We welcome researchers to contact us to use the information, so that they may come up with better policies to help the children combat these challenges,” Ho said.
NATIONAL SECURITY: Authorities are working to confirm the identities of the military personnel involved and investigating possible illegal conduct and regulatory violations Authorities are probing possible national security implications after Kinmen police and immigration officers on Sunday found a Chinese woman allegedly posing as a tourist while engaging in prostitution involving more than 10 military personnel. The woman, surnamed Chen (陳), has since been deported, authorities said, adding that investigators are still working to confirm the identities of those implicated, as the records only listed code names and aliases. The case stemmed from a report received by the Kinmen District Prosecutors’ Office on Friday last week from the Jinhu Precinct of the Kinmen County Police Bureau. On Sunday, police, along with the National Immigration
GLOBALGIVING: ‘ Caving to external pressure is not acceptable for an organization that has cultivated justice reform and human rights for 30 years,’ one NGO said A slew of non-government organizations (NGOs) have withdrawn from the GlobalGiving fundraising platform after it announced it would use “Chinese Taipei” instead of “Taiwan” from next month. The Taiwan Good Rice Association wrote on Facebook on Friday that it was informed on April 28 via a teleconference call of the change, which was made because the platform wanted to operate in China. Taiwan Good Rice is to terminate all cooperative relationships with GlobalGiving in response to the platform’s “unilateral and non-negotiable” decision to remove references to Taiwan, the NGO said. “Taiwan is in the official name of Taiwan Good Rice Association and the
HEAVY WEATHER: Typhoon Jangmi is due to crash straight into the Ryukyus as airlines look to shift flights to larger aircraft or cancel flights to Okinawa entirely Taiwan’s international air carriers announced flight adjustments over the weekend as Typhoon Jangmi is forecast to hit the Ryukyu Islands today and tomorrow. The Central Weather Administration (CWA) upgraded Jangmi from a tropical storm to a typhoon at 8am yesterday, with the eye located 580km south of Naha city. It was moving north at 19kph. Today, China Airlines’ CI-120, CI-121, CI-122 and CI-123 flights between Taoyuan and Naha, Okinawa, have been canceled as well as CI-132 and CI-133 between Kaohsiung and Naha. EVA Air’s BR-112, BR-113, BR-186 and BR-185 flights between Taoyuan and Naha are also canceled. Low-cost carrier Tigerair Taiwan canceled IT-230,
STAY COOL: The HPA recommended that people stay hydrated, use air-conditioning or fans while indoors, wear loose-fitting clothes and walk in the shade while outdoors Employers must implement measures such as installing cooling equipment, and providing drinking water and rest breaks for outdoor workers starting from Monday next week, the Taipei Department of Labor said on Sunday. Employers who fail to comply could face fines of NT$30,000 to NT$300,000 under the Occupational Safety and Health Act (職業安全衛生法), the department said. Businesses in Taipei employing fewer than 100 workers, as well as registered self-employed workers with labor insurance coverage, could receive on-site assessments and guidance from occupational safety consultants to help them apply for central government subsidies to implement or improve heat-protection measures, it said. Under the Ministry of