The Fisheries Agency yesterday unveiled an updated national action plan to reduce the incidental catch of seabirds in the nation’s longline tuna fisheries to protect albatrosses and petrels, among others.
The agency said that, as one of the major tuna longline fisheries countries in the world, Taiwan has more than 1,000 longline vessels operating across three oceans that unintentionally affect seabird populations.
To reduce the bycatch of seabirds during fishing, the agency said that it developed the first edition of its National Plan of Action on Seabirds in 2006 in accordance with that adopted by the UN’s Food and Agriculture Organization.
Photo: Hsieh Wen-hua, Taipei Times
The agency updated its plan this year.
Fisheries Agency Director-General James Sha (沙志一) said that the agency has instructed fishing vessels to install two “bird-scaring” lines since 2006, reducing seabird bycatch by 50 percent.
He said that the new edition of the action plan would also require vessels to select at least two of the three other chosen methods to further reduce incidents of seabird bycatch.
Apart from installation of bird-scaring lines, fishing vessels might install weighted branch lines or choose to set up baits at night.
Nanhua University assistant professor Yeh Yu-min (葉裕民) said that the long-distance fishing fleet first extend a main fishing line, and the baits, such as pacific saury, are hung on the hooks of branch lines under the main line.
She said that albatrosses and other seabirds quickly eat those baits before the branch lines are submerged, adding that the hooks on the branches could result in the unintended catch of these birds. Unable to get themselves off the hooks, the birds drown.
“The bird-scaring lines will cause the birds to fly away from the fishing boats,” she said. “The branch lines will go under the sea faster if they are attached with lead blocks.”
Setting baits at night would prevent seabirds from approaching because they cannot see the baits, the agency said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the