Former Taoyuan County deputy commissioner Yeh Shih-wen (葉世文) will be stripped of his “exemplary civil servant” title if he is found guilty of corruption, the Ministry of the Interior said yesterday.
If he is convicted, Yeh will also be required to return a trophy and a cash prize of NT$50,000 (US$1,663) that were part of the award, Deputy Minister of the Interior Chen Chwen-jing (陳純敬) said.
Yeh is accused of accepting a bribe of NT$16 million from Farglory Group chairman Chao Teng-hsiung (趙藤雄) to help the company win a tender in April for the construction of an affordable housing project in Bade City (八德), Taoyuan County.
After the matter came to light on Friday last week, Yeh was dismissed from his position as deputy county commissioner. He and Chao are being detained and held incommunicado as the investigation proceeds.
Yeh was named an “exemplary civil servant” in June last year, when he headed the ministry’s Construction and Planning Agency, for his role in executing the government’s policy to provide affordable housing.
Chen confirmed that while working at the agency, Yeh was put on a watchlist by the ministry’s ethics office for allegedly “socializing too much” and maintaining “complex social circles.”
Despite the lack of direct evidence, the allegations against Yeh were submitted to the Agency Against Corruption for investigation, Chen said.
Chen said the ministry is investigating why Yeh was nominated and won an “exemplary civil servant” award when he was on a watchlist for possible ethical violations.
Yeh stepped down as the agency’s director-general in June last year and was appointed deputy county commissioner shortly afterwards.
In related news, the Taoyuan County Government is revising its affordable housing policy to make more units available for rent in the wake of the bribery scandal.
Chu Kang-cheng (朱康震), head of the county government’s Information Department, said the affordable housing project in Bade would go ahead as scheduled, but only 60 percent of the units available would be sold, instead of 90 percent as originally planned, and the remainder would be rented.
For those units put on sale, the county will attach a buyback provision requiring owners to sell the units back to the government if they want to move out.
Chu also announced that the county would no longer develop affordable housing for sale and only offer social housing for rent.
Proposed legislation in the US outlines three conditions in which Washington would be authorized to protect Taiwan were China to invade, a report said yesterday. US Representative Ted Yoho this month said he would introduce a Taiwan Invasion Prevention Act, which would authorize US military force if China were to invade Taiwan-controlled areas, including its outlying islands. According to a version of the bill obtained by the Chinese-language Liberty Times (the sister paper of the Taipei Times), the bill lists three conditions in which a US president would be authorized to use military force to protect Taiwan: If China uses military force
The Supreme Court on Tuesday found four men guilty of attempted murder in the 2017 stabbing of Spanish surfer Ignacio Prio on a Pingtung County beach in the final ruling in the case, sentencing them to three-and-a-half to six years in prison. The defendants had appealed their convictions for attempted murder in the first and second rulings, which had also led to prison sentences ranging from three-and-a-half years to six years. The then-42-year-old Prio went to Jialeshui Beach (佳樂水) near Kenting (墾丁) on March 31, 2017, was attacked after he asked four men to remove their fishing lines from an area
Two new commuter trains are scheduled to be launched in January next year, the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) said yesterday. The acquisition of EMU-900 commuter train cars is part of the railway operator’s plan to replace 589 train cars that have been in operation for more than three decades. The agency has also placed orders to buy 600 intercity train cars. The first batch of 20 EMU-900 cars is to be delivered to the nation in September, although delivery might be delayed until October due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the agency said. The batch would be formed into two trains of 10
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s