The Taipei District Court yesterday released student activist Dennis Wei (魏揚) without bail, after prosecutors accused him of having led a protest that escalated into the storming of the Executive Yuan building in Taipei on Sunday night.
Wei, a graduate student at National Tsing Hua University’s Institute of Sociology, walked out of the courtroom at 12:20pm to the cheers of his family and supporters, before tearfully hugging his mother.
The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office said Wei has been charged with violating Article 150 of the Criminal Code — inciting people in an open assembly to employ threats or violence — which could see him face between one and seven years in prison if found guilty.
Photo: Chen Chih-chu, Taipei Times
He was also charged with obstructing an officer in the performance of their duties; destruction, abandonment and damage of property; breaking and entering; and with violating the Cultural Heritage Preservation Act (文化資產保存法), among other counts, the office said.
According to the district court’s ruling, Wei posted a message on Facebook at 9pm on Sunday calling for students to join the occupation of the Executive Yuan — two hours after the siege had begun — which indicated that he did not play a leading role in inciting protesters to occupy the complex.
The ruling added that several students arrested and under investigation have said in their statements that Wei’s posting did not incite them to storm the Executive Yuan.
Video footage shows Wei speaking to protesters on a microphone during the siege, but the court ruled that his presence at the site does not prove that he broke into the complex and damaged property.
Wei said in a statement yesterday that he did not mastermind the occupation of the Executive Yuan.
“I arrived in Taipei from Hsinchu City by bus at about 8pm and was preparing to go back to the Legislative Yuan sit-in, but upon learning on Facebook that the Executive Yuan had been occupied by students, I decided to go to the Executive Yuan and arrived there after 8pm,” the statement said.
Wei said he asked the other students if he could him help lead the protest, while urging the protesters to remain calm and not break into any offices.
Turning to Premier Jiang Yi-huah’s (江宜樺) remarks that police only “carried protesters away or tapped them on the shoulder and asked them to leave,” Wei said he saw officers attack protesters with sticks and shields.
“Any bloodshed that took place during the violent eviction must be taken up with the officer in charge of the operation and with President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九),” he added.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,