US magazine Defense News reported on Saturday that Ministry of National Defense (MND) officials were “embarrassed and beginning to panic” over the Pentagon’s decision not to fund upgrades for 300 US F-16 jets.
Taiwan’s 146 F-16s are also scheduled for upgrades under the Combat Avionics Programmed Extension Suite (CAPES) program and the fear is that with Washington dropping out, costs will shoot up.
The magazine quoted a ministry consultant on Taiwan’s defense as saying costs could rise by 30 to 60 percent as a result of the decision not to fund CAPES under the US defense budget announced last week.
According to the unnamed consultant, the ministry might be forced to cancel the plane’s mission modular computer, priced at US$200 million, if prices for the overall program escalate.
The nation’s air defense plans now center on upgrading the F-16s after Washington refused to sell it more advanced fighters.
US Air Force Deputy Assistant Secretary for Budget Major General James Martin told Defense News that the decision not to fund CAPES was a “tough tradeoff,” but that in the end the program was one “that we decided not to fund.”
The magazine said that Taiwan now faces a tough decision — continue funding the CAPES program on its own or call for an open competition among BAE Systems, Boeing and Lockheed for systems integration and a secondary competition between Northrop’s SABR and the Raytheon advanced combat radar (RACR) to new radar requirements.
“Cost-sharing with the US Air Force on the CAPES program’s nonrecurring engineering costs and research-and-development funding will be nonexistent,” the magazine said.
It said the US had assured the ministry that the CAPES program was “guaranteed” to go forward and that there was zero risk.
When reports of a US decision not to fund CAPES first surfaced earlier this year, Washington sources said that the costs for Taipei could soar because with the 300 US F-16s out of the program, the cost of components was bound to increase.
The Legislative Yuan has allotted US$3.9 billion dollars for the upgrades.
After Defense News said earlier this year that the US was dropping the CAPES program, the US-Taiwan Business Council issued a statement saying that reports the “alleged defunding” would negatively affect Taiwan’s F-16 upgrade program were inaccurate.
“Should this defunding occur, it will have no impact on the schedule or cost for Taiwan’s extensive upgrade program, including on the development of the Active Electronically Scanned Array [AESA] radar,” the statement said.
“The council understands that the US Air Force remains fully committed to the Taiwan F-16 upgrade program, and that their assurances are reflected in the signed Letter of Offer and Acceptance [LOA],” it added.
“That commitment ensures that the cost and schedule put in place by the LOA remains, and that the Taiwan military will not see any changes to their program even if the CAPES program is altered. This extends through the upgrade and into the sustainment of the upgraded equipment,” it added.
TOO TIRED: Investigators found that the pilot’s lack of alertness could be attributed to a lack of sleep the previous night, when he had slept with his child It was a copilot’s inappropriate operation of the aircraft and the pilot’s insufficient alertness that led to a hard landing of a China Airlines cargo flight on Dec. 13, 2018, the Taiwan Transportation Safety Board said yesterday. Flight CI6844, a Boeing 747-409 which departed from Hong Kong International Airport, landed on the pre-threshold area of runway L5 at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport, about 21m before the head of the runway, an investigation report said. The hard landing damaged three runway lights, but none of the personnel on board sustained any injuries, the report said. When approaching the runway, the copilot failed to maintain
DISTRUST WARRANTED? The WHO is under China’s control and has become a useless organization, while data from China cannot be trusted, a Control Yuan member said China’s demand that the novel coronavirus that emerged in Wuhan, Hubei Province, not be referred to with names like the “Wuhan pneumonia” betrays its lack of confidence in itself, Premier Su Tseng-chang (蘇貞昌) told lawmakers yesterday. Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Tsai Yi-yu (蔡易餘) asked Su, during a interpellation at the Legislative Yuan in Taipei, for his view on China’s attempts to redeem its national image in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic. These included China’s efforts to “bleach” its image, including having WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus publicly praise its handling of the COVID-19 outbreak, and thanking it for buying time
REPEAT OFFENDER: The man went outside for exercise on Wednesday and then left his home on Saturday with his girlfriend, officials said A New Taipei City man has been fined NT$400,000 (US$13,221) and ordered into government quarantine after breaking home quarantine for a second time on Saturday. The 25-year-old man, surnamed Chen (陳) returned to Taiwan on Sunday last week and was ordered to home quarantine until Sunday. He was seen leaving his home on a scooter with his girlfriend on Saturday, three days after he was fined NT$200,000 for going outside to exercise, police said. Chen has now been placed in a quarantine center arranged by the district office and health center of the district where he lives, police said. Police warned the public
Taipei residents who stay at hotels in the city during their 14-day mandatory quarantine period are eligible to apply for the city’s NT$7,000 subsidy, with online applications to be launched next week. Taipei Deputy Mayor Vivian Huang (黃珊珊) on Monday said Taipei residents who have COVID-19 Health Declaration and Home Quarantine Notice dated after March 19 and a quarantine hotel receipt for the dates covered by the quarantine period, would be eligible for the subsidy. The Taipei City Government on Sunday told the Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) that so many city residents are under home quarantine that about 90 percent of