The military is fitting the 12 AH-64E Apache attack helicopters it received from the US with new flight transmission boxes, the Army Command Headquarters said yesterday, following questions over when the choppers will be put back into service.
Once the transmission boxes are installed, a full range of safety tests will be conducted before formal test flights will be scheduled, the army said.
Training missions will resume once the test flights are completed and the safety of the helicopters is verified, army officials said.
“Safety is our main consideration. We don’t want to set a date [to resume training flights] before completing test flights,” an army official said in response to questions over when the Apache aircraft will be back in the air.
Army officials had said on Feb. 11 that the helicopters would be put back into service the following week, but that deadline has apparently been pushed back.
The 12 aircraft are part of a 30-helicopter package ordered from the US in June 2011 at a cost of more than US$2 billion.
The model E aircraft is the latest in the Apache attack helicopter series.
The army received its first delivery of six Apache helicopters in November last year, followed by a second batch last month.
The 12 helicopters were grounded after the military received a notification from the US in December last year about a main transmission failure in one of the Apache AH-64Es in service in the US army.
No problems were found in the helicopters in Taiwan, but the transmissions are still being replaced as a precaution, the army said.
The final three batches of six choppers will be delivered to Taiwan with the new transmission boxes later this year and are scheduled to arrive next month, in May and July respectively.
Taiwan and the US are currently the only two countries that have used the latest Apache helicopter model.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not