Despite a mother’s claim that a boy had bullied her daughter at Taipei Municipal Dunhua Junior High School, a probe by the Taipei City Government’s Educational Department and school authorities declared on Friday that it had been just a simple misunderstanding.
Last month, the mother of a student, surnamed Chiang (江), spent about NT$1 million (US$33,390) in newspaper advertisements accusing a male student of bullying her daughter.
The school subsequently convened its own committee to look into the matter.
Photo: Shi Chih-ju, Taipei Times
Wang Mei-en (王美恩), a member of the committee, told a press conference on Friday that the incident was found to be atypical of most schoolyard bullying cases and that the committee had voted 11 to 0 against making the case an official bullying investigation.
Chiang had clashed verbally with the defendant on the Internet, as well as in the schoolyard, and the clashes suggested she did not fit the image of the long-term disadvantaged student usually found in bullying cases, Wang said.
She added that the school concluded that the students lacked social relationship skills, and the solution was for them to receive counseling on such skills.
Chiang’s mother said she found the verdict unacceptable.
She said it was only normal for her daughter to retaliate when she could no longer take the bullying, adding that when the committee used her daughter’s Facebook responses last year as evidence, it was rubbing salt on wounds that were still raw.
The school is only trying to cover things up, Chiang’s mother said, adding that she believed the school would not help unless the matter reached the scale of the Hung incident, referring to the death of an army corporal who allegedly died from physical punishment in intense heat.
Despite the school’s assurances to Chiang’s parents that they would be able to apply for a second investigation within 20 days of receiving formal notice, Chiang’s mother said she may proceed directly to court.
“We will be discussing the matter with our lawyer next week and we are not ruling out the possibility of suing the [alleged] defendant,” Chiang’s mother said, despite expressing concern that her daughter may be harmed further by the proceeding.
Chiang’s mother said she would forgive the boy if he offered a public apology, adding that she was not asking that he be transferred to another class for fear of him finding fresh bullying victims.
Meanwhile, school principal Kao Min-hui (高敏慧) said that the school was on top of the situation and she was sorry Chiang’s mother was unable to accept the outcome.
She added that the school would seek to prevent future incidents by providing one-on-one consultation for students.
The parents of the alleged defendant made a statement through the school that they respected the results of the investigation and declined media interviews.
FAMILY FEUD: Weng Jen-hsien, who was convicted of killing six people in 2016, was the second prisoner to be executed since President Tsai Ing-wen took office A death row inmate was executed on Wednesday, less than a year after he was convicted of killing six people by setting fire to his home. Minister of Justice Tsai Ching-hsiang (蔡清祥) said that he signed the order and the death sentence was carried out on Wednesday afternoon in New Taipei City. The Supreme Court on July 10 last year sentenced 53-year-old Weng Jen-hsien (翁仁賢) to death after he was convicted of killing his parents, niece, nephew and nephew’s wife and his parents’ caregivers. Weng set fire to his home in Taoyuan’s Longtan District (龍潭) on Feb. 7, 2016, after a family feud
At a campground in Nantou County, a team of women are using ropes to shimmy up a towering seven-story tall Chinaberry tree, fighting their fear of heights and reconnecting with nature. Tree climbing remains somewhat niche in Taiwan, but a growing number of women are embracing the challenge thanks to the island’s first international certified female climber arborist. Sylvia Hsu (許芢涵), 26, said she was inspired to set up her own women-only tree climbing classes after seeing the popularity of similar gatherings in Europe. “A women-only camp is a more relaxed environment,” she said. “I was hooked on trees after my first climb...
Police in Kaohsiung are investigating a possible murder after a woman’s body was found in a plastic container on Thursday. The bucket was found by a person operating an excavator on a construction site at a private lot next to the Ciaotou Sugar Refinery Station (橋頭糖廠站) on the Kaohsiung Mass Rapid Transit system. Police investigator Chen Jen-cheng (陳仁正) yesterday said police had reviewed missing person reports and have narrowed the identity of the victim down to about 20 possible people. Physical evidence suggested she might have been a Fongshan District (鳳山) woman surnamed Lin (林), who was about 60 years old when she
IN PRINCIPLE: The Central Epidemic Command Center began yesterday to ban visits to hospitalized patients, Minister of Health and Welfare Chen Shih-chung said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced 10 new COVID-19 cases — eight imported and two locally transmitted — bringing the nation’s tally of confirmed cases to 339. The imported cases involved six men and two women, all Taiwanese, who had traveled to Austria, Canada, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Indonesia, countries in Latin America, the UK or the US before arriving back in Taiwan between March 6 and Tuesday, center data showed. Among them, patient No. 338 was part of a tour group that traveled to Austria and the Czech Republic, and has resulted in an infection cluster of five cases,