In an attempt to curb the practice of gender selection among parents-to-be, the Department of Health (DOH) is mulling imposing a ban on the use of a maternal serum screening test to identify whether a pregnant woman is at risk of having a baby with genetic disorders linked to gender.
The move follows the Bureau of Health Promotion’s decision to call in an obstetrician for questioning after he delivered more boys than girls.
The bureau’s actions drew strong opposition from the obstetrician and other medical staff who have also been questioned for having delivered unbalanced boy-girl ratios and the interview was later “postponed.”
The health department and the bureau, although denying that they had implied that the doctor had illicitly helped parents select the sex of their children, maintained that the gender imbalance among newborns is alarming and needs to be taken seriously, which may require the government to implement nationwide policies.
An interagency meeting convened in the wake of a recent debate on gender selection policy concluded that future monitoring of prenatal gender selection practices will emphasize management of the sources of sex information, and strengthen inspections of screening equipment and test kits, the health department said.
Using the maternal serum screening test for infant gender selection is already prohibited and widening it to encompass testing for potential gender-linked genetic disorders could help stop illicit gender selection, it said.
The department made a point of clarifying that the proposed extension to the ban does not include maternal serum screening for determining the risk of Down syndrome, as the syndrome is related to trisomy 21 — having three copies of chromosome 21 instead of the usual two — instead of being caused by gender-related genes, or the X and Y chromosomes that determine the sex of a fetus.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a