A Philippine official, who is close to the probe related to the May 9 shooting at a Taiwanese fishing boat by Philippine Coast Guard (PCG) personnel, confirmed on Saturday for the first time that the incident took place in the overlapping economic zones between the two countries, the Philippine Daily Inquirer reported yesterday.
The daily, which is one of the top three newspapers in the country, said the anonymous source had confirmed Taiwan’s claims that the Kuang Ta Hsing No. 28 was attacked in the countries’ overlapping territorial waters, although it was “on the Philippine side and not on the Taiwanese side.”
Manila is insisting that the fishing vessel was attacked after it intruded into the Philippines’ territorial waters.
The paper quoted another source — who has seen a video of the incident in which Taiwanese fisherman Hung Shih-cheng (洪石成) was killed — telling the newspaper on Saturday that PCG personnel were laughing as they fired at the boat.
The Philippine Daily Inquirer quoted an anonymous source as saying: “The video showed the soldiers acting unprofessionally.”
“It is disturbing and embarrassing for Philippine law enforcers,” the source added.
His statements were confirmed by two other sources who have also seen the video.
According to the PCG report on the incident, Arnold de la Cruz, the commander of the patrol vessel, “ordered his men to fire at the fishing vessel when it did not stop after several warnings.”
Investigators on both sides concluded their probes into the incident on Friday and the National Bureau of Investigation in Manila said its report will be ready in a “day or two,” according to the Philippine Daily Inquirer.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a