While the majority of women in the country do not smoke, they make up the greatest number of victims of second-hand smoke, according to the Bureau of Health Promotion.
“Typically, women are exposed to second-hand smoke from their fathers during childhood, from their husbands after marriage and from their sons when they get older,” said Chiu Shu-ti (邱淑媞), director-general of the bureau.
While 96 percent of Taiwanese women do not smoke, 20.3 percent of females are exposed to second-hand smoke at home and in 85 percent of the cases, the source of the potential carcinogen is their fathers, Chiu said, citing a 2010 nationwide smoking survey.
The source of the second-hand smoke to which women are exposed differs with age, the poll found.
For those aged between 18 and 24 years, the main source of second-hand smoke tends to be their father; from 25 to 55, it is their husbands; and after 55, it becomes their sons, the poll showed.
Women are inhaling four or five times more second-hand smoke at home than in the workplace, Chiu said, adding that this amounts to “a form of domestic violence that puts women’s health at risk.”
Last month, a survey of 11-to-18-year-olds revealed that 20.4 percent of the group were exposed to second-hand smoke in the home and that their fathers were the source of the smoke in more than 70 percent of the cases.
The health bureau appealed to smokers to quit, not just for their own health, but also for the sake of their children.
Entertainer Hsu Feng (徐風), who starred in an anti-smoking campaign ad for the bureau, made a similar appeal.
Looking pale and drawn, Hsu said he suffers from cancer of the esophagus, mouth, lungs, trachea and pelvis as a result of smoking for more than 50 years.
Hsu said he started smoking in junior-high school and never stopped.
“My two younger brothers, who also smoked, died of nasopharyngeal and oral cancer,” he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a