A new report compiled by the Research, Development and Evaluation Commission (RDEC) on President Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) accomplishments during his first four-year term provides a picture that does not reflect growing public discontent with his administration.
Ma ended his first term in office and was sworn in for a second term on May 20 amid growing public dissatisfaction and a slumping approval rate.
As Ma eyes the future, he leaves behind several unfulfilled and broken campaign promises that he made during the 2008 presidential election campaign.
Days before his second inauguration, Ma reflected on his administration’s performance over the past four years in a press conference at the Presidential Office.
Ma acknowledged his failures in creating sufficient jobs, addressing stagnant wages, narrowing the wealth gap and clearly explaining his administration’s policies to the public.
However, despite Ma’s admissions, a review report compiled by the commission on Ma’s fulfillment of campaign promises depicted what it called a string of “impressive statistics.”
In 2008, Ma promised voters he would boost the country’s sluggish economy with a number of economic platforms, in particular his “6-3-3” campaign pledge — an annual GDP growth rate of 6 percent, annual per capita income of US$30,000 and an unemployment rate of less than 3 percent per year.
Ma has failed to accomplish most aspects of the “6-3-3” pledge.
Furthermore, construction of the National Palace Museum’s southern branch in Chiayi County, which he had promised would be completed by last year, has had to be extended to the end of 2015.
In addition, a promise to set up a national Hakka radio station has also yet to be fulfilled.
Other campaign promises Ma failed to deliver on have pertained to government budgets, including budgets in the areas of national defense, education, cultural development and the economy.
Ma also pledged to increase the annual defense budget by 3 percent of GDP, a goal that was never met.
Nevertheless, the report put the defense budget under the “accomplished” category.
“The presidential campaign promises were imperative commitments the president made to the people,” the commission wrote in the report’s opening sentence.
Translated by Stacy Hsu, staff writer
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a