Renowned historian and Academia Sinica member Yu Ying-shih (余英時) has voiced support for a months-long boycott of the Chinese-language China Times, saying he hoped that Taiwan’s intellectuals would do more to help ordinary Taiwanese break free of the shackles of communist leanings in order to protect the nation’s young democracy.
Yu, a co-winner of the 2006 John W. Kluge Prize for the Study of Humanity, made the remarks in a handwritten letter faxed to Taipei Society director Huang Kuo-chang (黃國昌) on Friday.
In the fax Yu reiterated his support for the boycott of China Times and expressed concern about the self-centered conduct by many pro-China politicians and businesspeople in Taiwan, saying such people pander to China’s will out of personal interests.
“Such politicians and businessmen, in possession of abundant capital and power, have conducted a full-scale infiltration of Taiwan’s society, as many people in the country are clearly suffering from a ‘China scare.’ In light of this situation, Taiwanese intellectuals should play a role in assuaging such fears and awaken the country’s people,” Yu wrote
More than 60 academics launched a boycott against the China Times in February following a remark by its owner, Tsai Eng-meng (蔡衍明), that the 1989 Tiananmen Square Massacre did not really amount to a massacre. The academics said they would not allow any of their work to be published by the paper.
Tsai, chairman and chief executive of the Want Want China Times Group, which owns the China Times and other media outlets, made the remark in an interview with the Washington Post in January.
According to Yu, China has worked to spread its influence in Taiwan through pro-China politicians and businesspeople, including buying off the country’s media. Yu said the political change in Taiwan has often concerned him.
“Taiwanese intellectuals must shoulder the burden of safeguarding and boosting the country’s democracy and freedom, because the slightest slackness on their part could have the nation fall into China’s trap of unification,” Yu said.
Yu also cast doubts on Beijing’s economic prosperity, saying anyone aware of China’s internal problems would not be deluded by its superficial economic boom.
Recent events in China, such as the Bo Xilai (薄熙來) scandal and Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng (陳光誠) fleeing from illegal house arrest, both provided solid proof of such problems, Yu said. While these cases were merely the tip of the iceberg, a destabilizing movement is already foreseeable, he said.
“A highhanded, decayed and ruthless regime such as the Chinese Communist Party could never achieve social stability,” Yu said.
Huang, an Academia Sinica assistant research fellow, said Yu had also telephoned him on Friday afternoon to reiterate his goal of having “Taiwanese intellectuals stand out against such self-interested politicians and businessmen.”
China Times chief editor Chang Ching-wei (張景為) said he appreciated Yu’s advice, but his rhetoric showed a number of misconceptions and that he hoped to have a chance to clarify them with Yu.
Chao Yu-pei (趙育培), special assistant to Tsai, also said he respected Yu’s remarks. However, he denied any links between the China Times boycott and Want Want’s bid for China Network Systems cable network, a NT$76 billion (US$2.57 billion) bid which could affect a quarter of TV-owning households nationwide.
Translated by Stacy Hsu, staff writer
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a