US Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Admiral Mike Mullen has warned China about intercepting US reconnaissance flights over the Taiwan Strait.
He was speaking in Washington following the revelation this week that two Chinese Su-27 fighter planes entered Taiwanese airspace last month as they attempted to drive away a US U-2 spy aircraft.
Military sources said one of the Chinese fighters did not leave Taiwanese airspace until after the Taiwan Air Force scrambled two F-16 aircraft to intercept it.
Mullen, in a briefing to foreign press based in Washington on Monday, said he has discussed reconnaissance operations with Chinese Chief of the General Staff General Chen Bingde (陳炳德) in the US and during a recent visit to Beijing.
Asked directly about the incident above the Taiwan Strait, Mullen said: “This is international airspace and we won’t be deterred from flying in international airspace.”
He said that under international standards in place for “a long, long time,” the US had the right to fly over the area.
Mullen acknowledged that China wanted the flights to end and for the US to stop reconnaissance over the Taiwan Strait.
However, he said: “I don’t see that as the case. We’re not going to do that. These reconnaissance flights are important.”
“I think we both have to be very careful about how we fly them. We have to be careful about the intercepts. We have to make sure that we don’t repeat what happened in 2001. These are lives that are at stake up there,” Mullen said.
Mullen added that intercepts escalated the tension and “could put countries in a position to miscalculate and go in the wrong direction with respect to stability and peaceful resolution of these kinds of things.”
The admiral, who retires on Sept. 30, was referring to what became known as the Hainan Island incident of April 1, 2001, when a US EP-3 intelligence aircraft and a Chinese J-8 fighter collided, causing the death of the Chinese pilot. The EP-3 was forced to make an emergency landing on Hainan, resulting in an international dispute.
Taiwan supporters in the US have been quick to point out that the latest incident over the Taiwan Strait dramatically demonstrates the need for the US to update -Taiwan’s aging F-16A/B aircraft and sell Taipei 66 new advanced F-16C/D aircraft.
US Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton confirmed last week that a decision about the fighters would be announced by Oct. 1.
Asked if he thought the US would sell Taiwan the new F-16s, Mullen said: “It’s really a decision for the president of the United States to make and I would not preview that even if I knew what the president was going to do.”
“This is an issue that General Chen Bingde and I discussed when he was here, both privately and publicly, same thing when I was in China. I am aware that this is an issue of great interest not just in the US, but also in China. Clearly, the Chinese would strongly prefer us to stop doing this [selling arms to Taiwan],” Mullen said.
“The point I made to General Chen was that we have a relationship and responsibilities, and they’re legal responsibilities, in my country to support the Taiwan Relations Act. I would hope that in future, when we come up against these very difficult issues, whether they’re reconnaissance operations, South China Sea, Taiwan arms sales, that we are able to sustain the military relationship, which has been renewed,” he said.
In the past, China has broken off the military-to-military relationship with the US as a result of new arms sales to Taiwan.
Mullen said that the military-to-military relationship was “critical” and that terminating it even for brief periods of time had “a significant down side that works against stability in the region.”
“When we have another bump in the road, should that occur, I hope we can work our way through that with the Chinese military,” he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not