The tabletop phase of the Han Kuang 27 series of military exercises that concluded on Friday for the first time included P-3C marine patrol aircraft in the simulation, which performed very well in detecting Chinese submarines during an attack/defense simulation.
The war games, held from Monday last week through Friday, featured National Defense University instructors as the belligerent forces and military staff headquarters as the defenders.
Military sources said the war games incorporated the P-3C aircraft, purchased from the US, in the marine-patrol games and that in the few simulated attack and defense scenarios, the P-3C proved a strong deterrent to Chinese submarines, locating enemy submarine positions before they could launch an attack.
There nevertheless were heavy losses to the defender’s surface fleet.
Taiwan procured 12 P-3C aircraft from the US for US$1.9 billion in 2007. The first aircraft was delivered to Taiwanese units training in the US last month, with the other 11 scheduled for delivery this year and next.
The Ministry of National Defense had wanted to add anti-aircraft-carrier scenarios to the war games, but retired vice admiral Lan Ning-li (蘭寧利) said that without knowing more details about the People’s Liberation Army’s (PLA) plans for a carrier battle group, the inclusion of such platforms would have been insignificant.
“At most, it would serve to hone the resolve of the officers during the war games,” Lan said.
As the J-20 stealth fighter has yet to be incorporated into the PLA Air Force, it also was not included in a scenario simulating the defense of Penghu and Taiwan proper.
The scenario also ruled out the possibility of a major US intervention in the conflict.
However, the military allowed the attackers to “cheat” and modify computer data to test the other side’s ability to react to unexpected situations.
Despite the limitations, military sources said that several “creative” strategies were employed and the results were to the satisfaction of Minister of National Defense Kao Hua-chu (高華柱).
Military officials said the war games showed continual progress, with both the belligerent and the defending forces winning some and losing some, adding that the priority was to discover where the problems were and find out better solutions.
Who ultimately won and lost does not matter, officials said.
Translated by Jake Chung, staff writer
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not