On a visit to Taiwan yesterday, US Senior Official for APEC Ambassador Kurt Tong extended an invitation to President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) to attend the 19th APEC Leaders’ Meeting hosted by the US in Honolulu, Hawaii, on Nov. 12 and Nov. 13.
Speaking by telephone, American Institute in Taiwan (AIT) spokesperson Sheila Paskman said that Tong had brought the invitation and that it was the same invitation that was being delivered to each APEC member state.
Despite an APEC practice to invite the president of each country to APEC leaders’ summits, Taiwan in the past has named a special envoy to attend on the president’s behalf because of opposition from Beijing.
Asked if the US would support Ma’s attendance this year, Paskman said: “It’s really up to the country to decide who to send [to the APEC Leaders’ Meeting].”
After delivering the invitation to the Presidential Office, Tong met with Vice Minister of Economic Affairs Hwang Chung-chiou (黃重球).
The AIT said in a press release that the US ambassador had discussed APEC matters, as well as issues related to US-Taiwan economic relations, with senior Taiwanese officials.
“Tong introduced a variety of issues relating to APEC, including upcoming high-level meetings to be held in San Francisco in September on energy and transportation issues, women and the economy, innovation and trade in technology, and health issues,” the AIT said.
In related news, the Chinese-language United Daily News (UDN) and the China Times yesterday reported that National Security Council Secretary-General Hu Wei-jen (胡為真) had recently paid a “low-profile” visit to the US.
The UDN said Hu had visited the US last week to press the US on the sale of F-16C/D aircraft and diesel-electric submarines, as well as upgrades to Taiwan’s F-16A/B aircraft.
At a regular media briefing, Bruce Linghu (令狐榮達), -director-general of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ Department of North American Affairs, did not confirm the reports.
“I am unaware of that,” Linghu said.
The F-16C/Ds, diesel-electric submarines and the upgrade package for the F-16A/Bs are priority issues in US-Taiwan relations, along with inclusion of Taiwan in the US visa-waiver program, an extradition agreement and the resumption of Trade and Investment Framework Agreement talks, he said.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not