Chinese dissident Wang Dan (王丹) yesterday rejected a report by the Central News Agency (CNA) that said he has admitted receiving US$400,000 in subsidies from former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
CNA reported that during a Taiwan High Court hearing on Friday conducted behind closed doors, Wang admitted that he received US$400,000 in subsidies from Chen when he was in power between 2000 and 2008.
In a statement posted on his Facebook page yesterday, Wang said the content of the CNA report was untrue and that he was not approached for verification of the material.
Wang said because his comments at the closed-door hearing pertained to national security and should not be made public, he would not elaborate on what he had said in court.
Wang added that to express his protest against the news agency, he would not hold interviews with CNA until it offers an apology.
Friday’s court hearing was held as part of the judicial process investigating Chen and his family for allegedly embezzling money from the state affairs fund, the news report said.
Chen and his wife, Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍), were accused of embezzling more than NT$100 million (US$3.45 million) from the fund when Chen was in office.
Chen has argued that parts of the fund were used to finance Chinese activists, including Wang, in his effort to spread democracy to China.
Chen had asked the court to summon Wang and former minister of foreign affairs James Huang (黃志芳) to testify at the hearing.
A proposal by the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) to permanently ban sitting in Taipei Railway Station’s main hall has received a mixed reaction online, with some social media users vowing to launch a sit-in at the station. Gatherings at the hall have been prohibited since Feb. 29 in accordance with the Central Epidemic Command Center’s policy of reducing crowd sizes in public places. A Facebook user organizing the sit-in said that the hall is a public space and there is no legitimate reason to ban sitting on the floor. He said he suspected that the proposal was made due to business considerations and
Chinese over-the-top (OTT) service provider iQiyi cannot register as a provider in Taiwan after the Mainland Affairs Council declared it to be an illegal service, the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday. Both iQiyi and WeTV were deemed to be illegal Chinese OTT operators in an interdepartmental meeting on Friday last week, officials said, adding that this prohibits them from marketing their services in Taiwan or seeking subscribers. The government plans to block a local server that iQiyi has been using to transmit content to domestic audiences, which would disrupt its content transmission. OTT Entertainment Ltd, which is enlisted by iQiyi to
The Taipei Grand Mosque yesterday said its earlier decision to cancel Eid al-Fitr celebrations on Sunday to mark the end of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan would stand, even though there have been no new domestic cases of COVID-19 in more than a month. It will be the first time in 60 years that the event has not be held at the mosque. The Ministry of Labor had asked all mosques to suspend Eid al-Fitr celebrations and prayers this year, due to COVID-19 concerns, and encouraged Muslims to pray at home. This year Ramadan began on April 23 and is to
KAOHSIUNG VOTE: A city official allegedly wrote a message calling on supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu not to participate in the vote next month Prosecutors on Wednesday initiated an investigation of Kaohsiung Civil Affairs Bureau Director-General Tsao Huan-jung (曹桓榮) for allegedly telling supporters of Kaohsiung Mayor Han Kuo-yu (韓國瑜) to interfere with a recall vote against Han, while pan-green politicians denounced the mayor and his team for devising ways to obstruct voting. After receiving complaints from residents, the Kaohsiung District Prosecutors’ Office launched its probe of Tsao for alleged breaches of the Civil Servants Election and Recall Act (公職人員選舉罷免法). Complainants provided evidence that Tsao on Saturday last week wrote on messaging app Line that Han supporters should not vote in the June 6 recall vote, saying: