Three former Taipei City Government officials and a company official yesterday were indicted on charges of corruption and forgery as prosecutors completed their investigation into the Xinsheng Overpass scandal.
Taipei prosecutors said charges had been filed against the four: Huang Hsi-hsun (黃錫薰), former director of the city’s New Construction Department; Chen Chih-sheng (陳智盛), former section chief of the department’s Public Works Bureau; Chang Li-yen (章立言), former chief engineer at the department; and Lee Mei (李媺), an executive at Join Engineering Consultants.
Prosecutors accused the three city government officials of abusing their power in handling the bidding process for the project in April 2008 to please their supervisors and increase their chances of getting a promotion.
They said that to facilitate the bidding process for the overpass improvement project — after the bidding had already failed six times — and ensure the project was completed before the opening of the Taipei International Flora Expo in November, the three officials were suspected of inflating the budget for the project, causing losses of NT$337 million (US$11.5 million) to the city government.
They said the floor price for the project rose from NT$1.62 billion in the first round of bidding to NT$1.85 billion in the seventh round, with Kung Sing Engineering Corp winning the bid, while Join Engineering Consultants received an extra NT$15.5 million in a bid for the design and supervision of the project.
Questions surrounding the project first emerged in August last year, when Democratic Progressive Party Taipei City councilors accused the New Construction Department of paying exorbitant fees for flowers to decorate the overpass. The city government later acknowledged its administrative negligence in overseeing the budget listing procedure and sent the case to the Taipei Prosecutors’ Office for investigation.
Former Taipei City Secretariat director Yang Hsi-an (楊錫安), who was suspected of contacting construction companies before the seventh round of bidding was launched, was not indicted. Prosecutors said they had insufficient evidence to prove Yang had conspired with the construction companies during the bidding. However, they recommended that the city government discipline him for inappropriate action during the bidding process.
Prosecutors did not question Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) about the case. Hau said on Oct. 6 that he would resign if he was found to have been involved in the scandal.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY STAFF WRITER
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a