Taiwan Solidarity Union (TSU) Chairman Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) yesterday said the chances that a review committee that has already rejected proposals for a referendum on a controversial trade pact with China would treat a fourth and final bid on the matter any differently were very slim.
Speaking outside a hearing held to determine the legality of his latest proposal to turn the Economic Cooperation Framework Agreement (ECFA) over to a public vote, Huang said the committee would likely turn it down when it reviews it tomorrow, despite the fact that referendums are a “basic right.”
“I think our proposal is about to be struck down,” Huang told reporters after announcing he would boycott the hearing. “The reason we continue to bring about these referendum bids is because we believe it to be a basic right of Taiwanese.”
PHOTO: GEORGE TSORNG, TAIPEI TIMES
During the current hearings — the third held in the past eight months — senior officials at the Ministry of Finance and the Mainland Affairs Council voiced their opposition to a referendum, saying it was unnecessary as opinion polls showed the trade pact, which lowers tariffs on hundreds of goods across the Taiwan Strait, was well received by the public. The ECFA came into force in September, while the “early harvest” list of items receiving preferential tariff treatment took effect on Saturday.
Signed in June, the ECFA was initially opposed by both the TSU and the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP), although the DPP later softened its position. Critics claim the agreement will cost Taiwanese jobs and erode the nation’s sovereignty as a result of increasing dependency on China.
Vice Minister of Economic Affairs Francis Liang (梁國新) told the hearing that rather than isolate Taiwan, the ECFA had boosted its global competitiveness, while Mainland Affairs Council Deputy Minister Chao Chien-min (趙建民) said the agreement was “well--monitored” by the legislature.
“The government doesn’t support a referendum over the ECFA … it’s unnecessary,” Chao said.
The referendum review -committee previously rejected all three prior proposals — two by the TSU and another by the DPP — saying there were contradictions within the question and wording of the proposal. The TSU question would ask voters whether they agreed that the government should have signed the ECFA with China.
Organizers have called the committee’s actions “undemocratic” and the TSU has issued a court challenge over the second decision made in June. Each of the proposals had included about 100,000 signed petition forms, more than the number required by law, which organizers said reflected popular opinion.
Huang said that if the proposal were rejected tomorrow, his party would be unlikely to file any more referendum proposals and instead seek to overturn earlier decisions through administrative appeals.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a