The Tsai family that dominates the nation’s finance and telecom industries could soon fulfill its dream of branching out into the cable television industry after the National Communications Commission (NCC) said yesterday that it is very likely to approve its purchase of 12 cable television systems owned by Kbro Co (凱擘), a multiple-system operator backed by the US-based Carlyle Group.
Local media reported that Fubon Financial Holding Co chairman Daniel Tsai (蔡明忠) and his brother, Taiwan Mobile Co chairman Richard Tsai (蔡明興) — sons of Tsai Wan-tsai (蔡萬才), who was ranked third on Forbes’ list of Taiwan’s 40 richest individuals this year with assets of US$5.3 billion — plan to buy the cable TV provider through a media company they set up called Dafu (大富).
Although the main Dafu shareholders also own shares of Taiwan Mobile, NCC Spokesperson Chen Jeng-chang (陳正倉) said Dafu would not qualify to be an affiliate of Taiwan Mobile. The shareholders hold about 17 percent of Taiwan Mobile and to become an affiliate, Dafu’s shareholders would have to own 50 percent of the shares of Taiwan Mobile, Chen said.
“Some people may be gauging the Tsai family’s influence in the cable television market by counting the subscribers of the four cable television systems that are owned by Taiwan Mobile,” Chen said. “When added up, the purchase would allow the family to own about 33 percent of the subscribers in the nation, which did not exceed the cap stated in the regulations.”
Although the NCC commissioners decided yesterday to continue the discussions next week, Chen said “the chances that this case would win the approval of the NCC commissioners are very, very high” as the commission found the purchase by Dafu did not have any investment from the government, political parties and the military, which would have created other legal obstacles to the deal.
According to the commission, the 12 cable television systems owned by Kbro had about 1.12 million cable television service subscribers nationwide as of June this year, which accounted for approximately 22.3 percent of the market share. The NT$36 billion (US$1.15 billion) deal has drawn attention as it creates a union between a major telecom operator and a key player in the cable television market.
Because the deal will bring tremendous change to the market, Chen said the commission hoped Dafu could make commitments about how it plans to provide digital cable television service, improve the quality of the programs aired through its cable television systems and provide assurances it will not deliberately boycott any channel from being broadcast on its system.
So far, the prevalence of digital cable television service in the nation is less than 5.7 percent, Chen said.
Additional reporting by CNA
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a