Department of Health (DOH) Minister Yaung Chih-liang (楊志良) yesterday said Chang Gung Memorial Hospital had agreed to pay fines for overcharging its doctors for health insurance premiums, but would appeal the case.
The Bureau of National Health Insurance last month issued seven fines to seven branches of Chang Gung hospital for overcharging its doctors for their National Health Insurance premiums a total of NT$414 million (US$12.5 million).
The hospital had been given until today to pay the fines.
Yang was informed by the hospital yesterday that it would pay the NT$414 million, but would appeal the case and hold a press conference today to explain the reason for its appeal.
Chang Gung had charged each doctor the full insurance premium of about NT$6,000 each month, rather than the 30 percent of the amount, or about NT$1,800, that a doctor would normally pay as a hospital employee.
The hospital argued that the practice was justifiable as the doctors were in partnership with the hospital owners and therefore should be responsible for the full premium amount.
Earlier yesterday, Yaung had said the hospital had promised the department it would pay the fines in full rather than in installments.
In other developments, the department yesterday announced that 3 million doses of government-funded flu vaccine shots would be made available to children and the elderly, starting in October.
A 24-year-old man in Tainan last month died of influenza A(H1N1), or swine flu. The victim had not been vaccinated against the virus, which was not expected to re-emerge until the fall or winter.
His father, 56, died on Sunday, also from A(H1N1). He was the nation’s 47th person to die of the virus since it emerged in Taiwan last summer.
To provide better protection against such viruses with only one shot, the department said that each shot would provide immunity against the A(H1N1) strain and the seasonal flu.
Children and the elderly will receive priority for shots and will have to pay only for registration and appointment fees, while the cost of inoculation will be covered by the government.
Registration and appointment fees were waived last year to encourage the public to receive flu shots.
Yaung urged everyone, especially young adults, to get vaccinated against the flu virus before the flu season begins. Yaung said more than 7 million doses of vaccine the department purchased last year remained available.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY CNA
Also See: WHO chief says H1N1 flu pandemic is over
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has