Chang Gung Memorial Hospital has yet to pay fines imposed for overcharging its doctors for health insurance fees. The Bureau of National Health Insurance (BNHI) said the hospital had until Thursday to pay the fines or face further action.
Chang Gung’s Linkou branch in June was reported to have overcharged doctors for their health insurance premiums. The hospital charged each doctor the full insurance premium of about NT$6,000 (US$190) per month, rather than the NT$1,800 that a doctor would normally pay as a hospital employee.
The hospital said that the practice was justified because the doctors were in partnership with the hospital owners and therefore liable for the full amount of the premium.
The BNHI investigation found that since the hospital and its doctors had a management-employee relationship — rather than a partnership — the hospital could not ask the doctors to pay the full premium.
After news of the violations at the Linkou branch emerged, other hospitals were investigated, including other Chang Gung branches. The BNHI last month issued seven fines to Chang Gung branches totaling about NT$400 million.
Officials said Chang Gung had yet to pay the fines and that it had until Thursday to do so or the bureau would be forced to take further action.
According to the National Health Insurance Act (全民健康保險法), in addition to returning the amount overcharged to its doctors, the hospitals also face a fine twice that amount said Deng Shih-hui (鄧世輝), a section chief at the bureau.
Deng said no leniency was shown because the hospitals were fully aware they were not in a partnership relationship with the doctors. The fact that they provided two versions of financial information — one to the BNHI to avoid having to pay the doctors’ NHI premiums and another to the National Tax Administration to indicate that the same doctors were hospital employees — proved they knowingly committed a violation, the bureau said.
Chang Gung did not respond to requests for comment.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has