Premier Wu Den-yih (吳敦義) disagreed with criticism recently leveled by more than 150 academics at Hon Hai Group chairman Terry Gou (郭台銘), whose factory in China has seen 13 employees commit suicide by jumping off buildings.
The group of academics on Sunday urged the government to stop offering subsidies and economic incentives to companies such as Hon Hai Precision Co, the parent company of Foxconn in Shenzhen, Guangdong Province, to end what they called a Taiwanese-owned “sweatshop” in China.
While filing their petition, the academics called Gou the “shame of Taiwan.”
During a speech at a ceremony for Police Day, Wu for the second time publicly stated his support for Gou, questioning the appropriateness of academics making “mean” comments about the chairman.
“If [the academics] are really concerned about current affairs, why didn’t they say anything when corruption scandals attracted the world’s attention? Why didn’t they call them the ‘shame of Taiwan’?” Wu asked, referring to the scandals surrounding former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁).
An entrepreneur who started his businesses from scratch, Gou has made huge contributions to the country by boosting its economic development, providing jobs, sponsoring a cancer research center, helping flood victims rebuild their homes and learn organic farming techniques, Wu said.
Last month, Wu sought to give Gou a moral boost when asked to comment on the series of suicides at Foxconn.
The academics also demanded that the government launch an investigation into the suicides, but the Executive Yuan has yet to respond to the request.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a