Health and diplomatic officials yesterday defended the government’s participation at the World Health Assembly (WHA) as an observer after former health minister Chen Chien-jen (陳建仁) said the nation’s participation in WHO-related activities remained limited.
At a press conference held by the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) caucus at the legislature, Vice Minister of Foreign Affairs David Lin (林永樂) said the nation had had more interaction with members of the WHO since Taiwan was invited to attend the WHA as an observer last year.
“We believe this is a specific development and we also hope we can increase the nation’s medical and health cooperation with other countries so that Taiwan can make a bigger contribution to the world,” Lin said.
Vice Minister of Health Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said that Taiwan was able to receive first-hand epidemic information from the WHO and its member states over the past year.
“We successfully obtained information related to A(H1N1) during its outbreak, vaccine strains to help produce the A(H1N1) vaccine and virus strains to help us understand the virus,” Chang said.
The KMT called the press conference after Chen, who participated at the WHA last year as an expert, said Taiwan still did not enjoy equal status, nor could it fully interact with the organization’s members.
Chen said the WHO’s International Agency for Research on Cancer asked him last year to recommend Taiwanese experts to write books on esophageal cancer, but the agency later regretted the decision because it had to seek China’s consent.
Taipei received an invitation from the WHO Secretariat this week to attend this year’s WHA meeting in May as an observer using the name “Chinese Taipei.”
It will be the second year Taiwan has been invited to attend the conference.
The invitation was faxed to Department of Health Minister Yaung Chih-liang (楊志良), although Yaung was referred to as “Minister of the Department of Health [DOH]” while Taiwan was referred to as “Chinese Taipei.”
“The format of the invitation is the same as last year. The only difference was the letter to [Taiwan] and other WHO members and WHA observers were sent simultaneously,” Department of Health Vice Minister Hsiao Mei-ling (蕭美玲) said.
Last year, Taiwan received an invite on April 28, three weeks ahead of the meeting.
KMT caucus secretary-general Lin Hung-chih (林鴻池) gave credit to the government over the invitation, saying that it showed that the Ma administration had made some achievements in terms of obtaining more international space.
In related news, the DOH said yesterday its goal this year was to join the WHO’s International Food and Safety Authorities Network (INFOSAN).
Taiwan’s participation would greatly enhance the country’s defense against substandard food products, said Juan Chuan-chuan (阮娟娟), director of the department’s Office of International Cooperation.
Juan said food safety has become a global concern and many countries are interested in sharing experiences and information, boosting Taiwan’s chances of being admitted to the group.
ADDITIONAL REPORTING BY JENNY W. HSU
The first of 10 new high-capacity trains purchased from South Korea’s Hyundai Rotem arrived at the Port of Taipei yesterday to meet the demands of an expanding metro network, Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC) said yesterday. The train completed a three-day, 1,200km voyage from the Port of Masan in South Korea, the company said. Costing NT$590 million (US$18.79 million) each, the new six-carriage trains feature a redesigned interior based on "human-centric" transportation concepts, TRTC said. The design utilizes continuous longitudinal seating to widen the aisles and optimize passenger flow, while also upgrading passenger information displays and driving control systems for a more comfortable
Taiwan's first indigenous defense submarine, the SS-711 Hai Kun (海鯤, or Narwhal), departed for its 13th sea trial at 7am today, marking its seventh submerged test, with delivery to the navy scheduled for July. The outing also marked its first sea deployment since President William Lai (賴清德) boarded the submarine for an inspection on March 19, drawing a crowd of military enthusiasts who gathered to show support. The submarine this morning departed port accompanied by CSBC Corp’s Endeavor Manta (奮進魔鬼魚號) uncrewed surface vessel and a navy M109 assault boat. Amid public interest in key milestones such as torpedo-launching operations and overnight submerged trials,
Quarantine awareness posters at Taiwan Taoyuan International Airport have gone viral for their use of wordplay. Issued by the airport branch of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Agency, the posters feature sniffer dogs making a range of facial expressions, paired with advisory messages built around homophones. “We update the messages for holidays and campaign needs, periodically refreshing materials to attract people’s attention,” quarantine officials said. “The aim is to use the dogs’ appeal to draw focus to quarantine regulations.” A Japanese traveler visiting Taiwan has posted a photo on X of a poster showing a quarantine dog with a
Taiwan’s coffee community has launched a “one-person-one-e-mail” campaign, calling for people to send a protest-e-mail to the World Coffee Championships (WCC) urging it to redesignate Taiwanese competitors as from “Taiwan,” rather than “Chinese Taipei.” The call followed sudden action last week after the WCC changed all references to Taiwanese competitors from “Taiwan” to “Chinese Taipei,” including recent World Latte Art champion Bala (林紹興), who won the World Latte Art Championship in San Diego earlier this month. When Bala received the trophy, he was referred to as representing Taiwan, as well as in the announcement on the WCC’s Web site, until it