The legislature’s Education and Culture Committee passed a resolution on Wednesday banning retired educational officials previously in charge of supervising public institutions from teaching at private schools within two years of their retirement.
The committee passed the resolution to prevent retired high-ranking educational officials from receiving a salary from private schools while enjoying their monthly pension.
The nation imposes a “revolving door article” on public officials, limiting their employment options after they leave government posts to prevent conflict of interests.
Section 1 of Article 14 of the Civil Servants Work Act (公務員服務法) prohibits government officials from serving as board members, supervisors, managers or counselors at any profit-making organizations directly related to the officials’ job description within three years of the official leaving their government position.
However, Vice Minister of Education Lin Tsung-ming (林聰明) said the committee’s resolution would not be legally binding unless the Ministry of Civil Service amends relevant laws since private schools can decide who they want to recruit.
Lin told reporters that he feared education officials could be recruited by universities in China if the revolving door article also applied to those officials.
Meanwhile, the committee passed its preliminary review of the central government’s NT$168.2 billion (US$5.1 billion) education budget request for the next fiscal year, cutting it by NT$23 million and freezing NT$2.63 billion.
Of the NT$23 million cut, NT$13 million had been earmarked for the ministry’s much-criticized movement to build students’ character and promote “taste.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not