The Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) yesterday said it would ask the Council of Grand Justices to rule on the constitutionality of some aspects of former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) trial.
The DPP and some observers have cited several points in the case as possible violations of Chen’s legal rights. One of the most controversial points has been Chen’s detention for more than 250 days during the investigation and trial.
“We hope that the grand justices will make a ruling as soon as possible on several flaws and controversies concerning legal procedure,” DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文) told a news conference after the party’s Central Standing Committee meeting yesterday.
“The Council of Grand Justices’ decision will have an impact on the legitimacy of the ruling in the first [trial]” and clarify controversial points that could arise in similar cases in the future, Tsai said.
The DPP called for a reform of the nation’s detention system and urged the court to release Chen so that he could prepare his appeal.
Separately, one of Chen’s court-appointed attorneys yesterday said he would discuss with Chen the district court’s latest decision to reject his request for release on bail. Chen has been behind bars since Dec. 30 at the Taipei Detention Center.
On Friday, the Taipei District Court found Chen, his wife Wu Shu-jen (吳淑珍) and 11 co-defendants guilty. The former first couple, convicted on charges including corruption and money laundering, received life sentences and a total of NT$500 million in fines.
Chen asked his attorneys to file a motion before Friday’s ruling to release him from detention so that he could prepare his appeal.
Attorney Tseng Te-rong (曾德榮) said he received the district court’s rejection on Tuesday evening and would scrutinize the court’s reasoning.
Presiding Judge Tsai Shou-hsun (蔡守訓) said in his ruling that Chen should remain in detention for fear that he could try to flee the country, among other reasons.
Tseng said he had yet to discuss the decision with Chen to decide whether to appeal. The more urgent task at hand is to prepare paperwork to file an appeal of Friday’s ruling, he said.
The deadline to file the appeal is Sept. 24.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has