The problematic MRT Neihu Line had Taipei City Government officials in attack mode yesterday as they slammed the line’s contractors for trying to shift responsibility for a system shutdown and filed a NT$100 million (US$3 million) lawsuit against the Chinese-language Next Magazine over a story about the shutdown.
The Neihu Line shut down on July 10 because of a sudden power outage. The latest issue of the weekly magazine quoted an anonymous source as saying the shutdown was the result of human error on the part of a Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC) employee.
The magazine claimed that after the TRTC employee hit a wrong switch, triggering the power outage, the company failed to follow its standard operating procedure and risked passengers’ lives by forcing 700 of them to walk them along the elevated rail lines to reach the nearest station platform.
Next claimed Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) asked staff to delete the minutes of a meeting city officials held with the system’s builder, Montreal-based Bombardier, and the head contractor, Kung Sing Engineering Corp, to place all the blame on the contractors.
Taipei City Secretariat Deputy Director Tan Gwa-guang (譚國光), head of the Neihu Line emergency response team, led Law and Regulation Commissioner Yeh Ching-yuan (葉慶元) and top TRTC officials yesterday in denying the story. They said the city would demand that Bombardier and Kung Sing Engineering Corp keep their promises by increasing the line’s stability to 99 percent by November.
“Next Magazine changed black into white and printed a sensational story knowing that the accusations were not true,” Yeh said at the Taipei City Hall.
“The story was clearly helping the contractors to shift responsibility onto us and damaged TRTC’s reputation,” he said.
Yeh and Tan slammed the magazine as “amateurish” for claiming that passengers who had to walk along the tracks could have been electrocuted had the power come back as they were walking.
“This was a very amateurish assumption. The TRTC had cut all the power to the system and restarting the system involves complicated procedures,” Tan said.
Making passengers disembark and walk along the tracks to reach a station platform was standard procedure, he said.
Tan said the shutdown was caused by an outage of the “uninterruptible” power supply system at Zhongshan Junior High School Station.
He also said the three minor malfunctions on Tuesday, when the some car doors on the Muzha and Neihu lines could not close, were fixed in three to five minutes.
The system will gradually stabilize, he said, adding that the city would seek compensation from Bombardier and Kung Sing after the testing period ends.
DIPLOMATIC MOVES: Beijing is reportedly pressing the state after reports of forming links with Taiwan, while the ministry is also planning to reopen its office in Guam soon A representative office is set to open in Somaliland at the end of this month, at the earliest, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) said yesterday amid reports that Beijing is sending a diplomatic delegation to the east African country. The ministry on July 1 announced that Taiwan and Somaliland would establish representative offices, following a report by the Somaliland Chronicle Web site. It said at the time that the two nations did not plan to establish formal ties. Somaliland President Muse Bihi Abdi has instructed close confidants to explore the possibility of “mutual recognition between Taiwan and Somaliland,” the Somaliland Chronicle reported
‘IMMORAL, INSINCERE’: Huang Kun-huei said that Ma was ‘distorting history’ in claiming that Lee Teng-hui laid the foundation for the so-called ‘1992 consensus’ Former Presidential Office secretary-general Huang Kun-huei (黃昆輝) on Saturday rejected former president Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) claim that former president Lee Teng-hui (李登輝) had been a proponent of Beijing’s “one China” principle. Lee, who served as president from 1988 to 2000, died in Taipei on Thursday last week. After visiting the Taipei Guest House on Saturday to pay his respects to Lee, Ma posted on Facebook that “28 years ago on this day” Lee hosted a session of the now-defunct National Unification Council, during which he passed a resolution on the “one China” principle. That resolution became the basis of the Chinese Nationalist Party’s
A Belgian man who tested positive for COVID-19 in Taiwan last week is likely to have contracted the disease in Taipei in late June, National Taiwan University (NTU) College of Public Health vice dean Tony Chen (陳秀熙) said yesterday. The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) on Saturday reported that the man, who is in his 20s, came to Taiwan for work on May 3 and tested positive on Wednesday last week as he was about to depart. The man in March reported loss of taste and smell, the center said, adding that he worked in Changhua County, but visited Taipei several times,
NEW ERA: Taiwan, which has controlled its virus outbreak, now faces the challenge of safely resuming economic exchanges with other nations, Chang Shan-chwen said People should not focus entirely on having zero new confirmed COVID-19 cases in Taiwan, but neglect overall control over the disease situation, Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) specialist advisory panel convener Chang Shan-chwen (張上淳) said yesterday. Chang made the remark at a forum in Taipei discussing the steps Taiwan should take in the post-pandemic era, organized by the Chinese-language magazine Global Views Monthly. Chang, Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Director-General Chou Jih-haw (周志浩), and Stanford University’s Center for Policy, Outcomes and Prevention director C. Jason Wang (王智弘) each made a presentation, followed by a panel discussion with Chang, Wang and Buddhist Tzu