Two branches of McDonald’s and one Domino’s Pizza restaurant in Taipei County will be fined between NT$60,000 and NT$300,000 for having excess arsenic levels in their frying oil, the Taipei County Government Legal Affairs Bureau said yesterday.
The county’s Legal Affairs Bureau director Chen Kun-jung (陳坤榮) said the fast food chains had 15 days from last Wednesday to appeal.
County Health Bureau chief Hsu Ming-neng (許銘能) said the bureau would issue the penalty documents today.
The announcement wrapped up a two-week long controversy over McDonald’s allegedly high arsenic concentration in its cooking oil, with the Consumer Protection Commission (CPC) locking horns with the Department of Health (DOH) over whether the CPC’s test results were valid.
On June 21, a CPC official tested used oil from a McDonald’s in Tucheng and a Domino’s branch in Yonghe and found them to contain arsenic.
However, after the CPC published the results on July 7, the county health bureau last Wednesday collected oil samples from five fast food restaurants in the county and had them analyzed by the DOH.
The oil was found to be arsenic-free.
“A meeting will take place today between related governmental agencies to determine whether Article 10 or Article 11 of the Act Governing Food Sanitation (食品衛生管理法) will be employed,” Chen said.
While Article 10 stipulates that businesses should improve the situation within a certain timeframe or face penalty, Article 11 — used in cases that cause more severe adverse effects to human health — stipulates an immediate penalty without appeal, Chen said.
Saying that businesses often think they can get away with violations because Article 10 is too commonly cited, Chen said he leaned toward citing Article 11 in the McDonald’s case.
Chen criticized the DOH for undermining the results of the CPC official working with the county by conducting its own test.
DOH Deputy Minister Sung Yen-jen (宋晏仁) said the department stood by the CPC’s test results.
“The DOH has always had the policy that if a restaurant violates the Act Governing Food Sanitation, it will be fined unless it provides sufficient evidence in appeal,” Sung said.
“As for the CPC official initiating a random check, the DOH is more than happy and thankful,” he said.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has