A policeman in Pingtung County recently tracked down the grave of a Catholic missionary from Germany at the behest of his family members, who were never fully convinced by reports that the priest had died there in 1963.
Tien Hsiang Chen-ling (田項榛林), a member of the Chaojhou Township (潮州) police department, was assigned to the case after a request from Sebastian Heuken’s family, who wanted any documents that could prove the priest’s death.
Heuken’s younger brother Karl said the priest worked at a Catholic church in Chaojhou upon his arrival in Taiwan in 1960.
Karl said his brother reportedly died in a traffic accident and was buried in the small town, but he questioned the report’s accuracy because he never received a death certificate.
Tien Hsiang said it was the most difficult case he had investigated because there were few clues indicating the priest ever existed.
“I could find nothing at local household offices, other police stations and traffic police divisions,” the policeman said.
After turning to local churches, he finally discovered that the missionary’s remains were buried at a Chaojhou church cemetery. Heuken’s tombstone was engraved with Chinese characters reading “the tomb of Father Ho Li-chien” and his German name.
Tien Hsiang said he also visited an 86-year-old Catholic nun from Switzerland in Pingtung’s Jiadong Township (佳冬) who had worked with Heuken to gain first-hand information about the accident that led to Heuken’s death.
Germana Rotzetter told him that on the day of the tragedy, she and Heuken were riding motorbikes on Provincial Highway No. 1 when Heuken collided with an oncoming cargo truck, the policeman said. Rotzetter said that she sent for help, but when it came, it was too late.
Tien Hsiang said he found out that Heuken’s personal effects and his death certificate had been kept for a period at a parish in Donggang, but were eventually destroyed.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a