The government has decided to remove a plaque bearing the name “National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall” from the main building of the hall and would reinstate the “Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall” plaque in July, Minister Without Portfolio Ovid Tseng (曾志朗) said on Thursday.
The decision was made after coordination meetings between different government branches, Tseng said.
As for the inscription on the memorial hall’s entry arch, the Ministry of Education said yesterday it would hold three public forums next month to discuss whether to reinstate the four-character inscription, dazhong zhizheng (大中至正), which means “great neutrality and perfect uprightness.”
Participants at the forums will include academics and experts, while elected representatives and government officials will be excluded from the meetings, the ministry said.
Tseng said the government would not replace the “Liberty Square” inscription at the hall entrance until after gauging public opinion on the matter during the ministry-sponsored forums.
The hall has been the subject of dispute between pan-blues and pan-greens over the years. In 2007, the then-Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) administration renamed the memorial National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall as part of its efforts to remove symbols commemorating dictator Chiang Kai-shek (蔣介石).
The DPP government also changed the inscription dazhong zhizheng to “Liberty Square” (自由廣場) and redecorated the hall. The move drew protests from the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT)-dominated legislature, which blasted the government for failing to put it through a legislative vote.
With the KMT regaining power last year, Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄) in August instructed the Executive Yuan to withdraw from the legislature a proposal to abolish the Organic Statute of Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall (中正紀念堂組織條例).
During the review of the central government’s budget request for the current fiscal year in January, the KMT-controlled legislature passed a resolution stating that “the name of National Taiwan Democracy Memorial Hall shall be changed to Chiang Kai-shek Memorial Hall.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not