Vice Minister of National Defense Chang Liang-jen (張良任) told lawmakers yesterday that the number of high-ranking officers would likely drop when the military completes its restructuring plan.
“The appropriate number of high-ranking officers will be decided after the military restructuring,” Chang told the legislature’s Foreign and National Defense Committee.
He was responding to a comment by President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九), who told a Presidential Office dinner party on Wednesday that there were too many generals.
Chang told lawmakers that the ministry began plans to cut its ranks last year but has not yet finalized a plan.
“It takes a remarkable academic background, remarkable field experience and a remarkable reputation for management for an officer to become a general. It is not an easy thing,” Chang said.
Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Legislator Tsai Huang-liang (蔡煌瑯) suggested the committee amend the National Defense Act (國防法) and the Organic Act of the Ministry of National Defense (國防部組織法).
“We need real generals who have been through strict screening mechanisms and those who have survived and won in the battlefield,” Tsai said.
“We do not need as many 'stars' as we have now,” Tsai said.
Chang, meanwhile, said that the military would continue to be vigilant in monitoring the activities of the Chinese military, even though the Chinese Army recently decided to cancel a regular large-scale exercise in the “Nanjing Military Region.”
The drill usually simulates an attack on Taiwan.
“It is not right to say that the Chinese military has given up its designs on Taiwan just because this exercise was canceled. I certainly would not presume that,” he said. “We remain on high alert as normal.”
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not