People who fail to pay traffic fines before the deadline can now pay at convenience stores and post offices if they present the citation issued by local vehicular registration offices, the Directorate General of Highways (DGH) said yesterday.
The DGH already allows people to pay fines at post offices and convenience stores before the deadline stated on citations. Currently, those who fail to do so are issued a citation by local vehicular registration departments. They are required to take the citation with them when paying late traffic fines at their local departments.
Those who fail to pay the fines within a designated period of time will receive a summons to a local district court.
The DGH said that it has received many complaints from motorists who receive summons from the court, asking if the DGH could make it easier to make payments.
The new policy takes effect today. It allows people to pay late traffic fines at convenience stores and post offices as long as they show the citations.
The DGH said the new service would be available at 7-Eleven, Hi-Life, Family Mart and OK convenience stores.
When paying at post offices, traffic violators will be charged NT$10 for each transaction and the record will be cleared after the payment is made.
They will only be charged NT$8 if they choose to wait one to three days for the record to be cleared.
However, those paying at convenience stores who want the records to be cleared instantly can only do so at 7-Eleven, Hi-Life and Family Mart.
OK convenience stores do not offer the service.
Those who forget their bar-coded fine slip will have to print out the information of their traffic violations from the printers in the convenience stores and pay their penalties at the cashier.
The processing fee for an instant clearance at convenience stores will be NT$15, while waiting a few days will cost NT$8.
The DGH said that motorists cannot pay their fines at convenience stores if the citations they receive include both fines and other provisions that involve confiscated items, revoked licenses or orders to attend driving courses. They must still settle their fines at local vehicular registration departments, it said.
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
GROUNDED: A KMT lawmaker proposed eliminating drone development programs and freezing funding for counterdrone systems, despite China’s adoption of the technology China has deployed attack drones at air bases near the Taiwan Strait in a strategy aimed at overwhelming Taiwan’s air defense systems through saturation attacks, the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) said. The council’s latest quarterly report on China said that satellite imagery and open-source intelligence indicate that the Chinese People’s Liberation Army (PLA) had converted retired J-6 fighter jets into J-6W drones, which the PLA has stationed at six air bases near Taiwan, five in China’s Fujian Province and one in Guangdong Province. The report cited J. Michael Dahm, a senior fellow at the US-based Mitchell Institute, as saying that China has