The government currently has no plans of issuing a second round of consumer vouchers, but will look into the possibility when it conducts an overall assessment of the impact of the first round of consumer vouchers by September, the Council for Economic Planning and Development said yesterday.
The council said the government might not issue a new round of vouchers because of financial constraints, but added that if it did eventually return to the idea, a decision would not be made before the end of September, the deadline for the use of the first round of vouchers.
“If domestic business conditions rebound in the fall, the government won't need to issue consumer vouchers again,” the council said in a statement.
The council said it had commissioned an institute to carry out a survey of the shopping vouchers' overall effect on the local economy during the first quarter of this year. The results of the survey will be made public later this month and will serve as policy reference for the government.
In related news, Chunghwa Post Co said that 134,974 people, or 0.58 percent of qualified recipients, failed to pick up their consumer vouchers by the April 30 deadline.
A total of 99.42 percent of eligible participants picked up their vouchers in the two-stage distribution process — at designated pick-up points during the first stage and at post offices during the second stage — the state-run company said.
Less than NT$500 million (US$15 million) in consumer vouchers, out of a total of NT$83.75 billion, were not picked up.
The unclaimed vouchers will be sent back to the Ministry of the Interior, which will be responsible for destroying them after May 12, a Chunghwa Post executive said.
Ministry figures showed that as of Wednesday, nearly NT$67.4 billion, or 81 percent of the total vouchers issued, had been cashed in by businesses.
The inspection equipment and data transmission system for new robotic dogs that Taipei is planning to use for sidewalk patrols were developed by a Taiwanese company, the city’s New Construction Office said today, dismissing concerns that the China-made robots could pose a security risk. The city is bringing in smart robotic dogs to help with sidewalk inspections, Taipei Deputy Mayor Lee Ssu-chuan (李四川) said on Facebook. Equipped with a panoramic surveillance system, the robots would be able to automatically flag problems and easily navigate narrow sidewalks, making inspections faster and more accurate, Lee said. By collecting more accurate data, they would help Taipei
STATS: Taiwan’s average life expectancy of 80.77 years was lower than that of Japan, Singapore and South Korea, but higher than in China, Malaysia and Indonesia Taiwan’s average life expectancy last year increased to 80.77 years, but was still not back to its pre-COVID-19 pandemic peak of 81.32 years in 2020, the Ministry of the Interior said yesterday. The average life expectancy last year increased the 0.54 years from 2023, the ministry said in a statement. For men and women, the average life expectancy last year was 77.42 years and 84.30 years respectively, up 0.48 years and 0.56 years from the previous year. Taiwan’s average life expectancy peaked at 81.32 years in 2020, as the nation was relatively unaffected by the pandemic that year. The metric
TAKING STOCK: The USMC is rebuilding a once-abandoned airfield in Palau to support large-scale ground operations as China’s missile range grows, Naval News reported The US Marine Corps (USMC) is considering new sites for stockpiling equipment in the West Pacific to harden military supply chains and enhance mobility across the Indo-Pacific region, US-based Naval News reported on Saturday. The proposed sites in Palau — one of Taiwan’s diplomatic allies — and Australia would enable a “rapid standup of stored equipment within a year” of the program’s approval, the report said, citing documents published by the USMC last month. In Palau, the service is rebuilding a formerly abandoned World War II-era airfield and establishing ancillary structures to support large-scale ground operations “as China’s missile range and magazine
A 72-year-old man in Kaohsiung was sentenced to 40 days in jail after he was found having sex with a 67-year-old woman under a slide in a public park on Sunday afternoon. At 3pm on Sunday, a mother surnamed Liang (梁) was with her child at a neighborhood park when they found the man, surnamed Tsai (蔡), and woman, surnamed Huang (黃), underneath the slide. Liang took her child away from the scene, took photographs of the two and called the police, who arrived and arrested the couple. During questioning, Tsai told police that he had met Huang that day and offered to