Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City councilors yesterday accused the Taipei City Government of abusing municipal resources to campaign for Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) candidate Chiang Nai-shin (蔣乃辛) in tomorrow’s legislative by-election, and urged municipal officials to maintain neutrality.
About a dozen staff from the Taipei City Department of Civil Affairs visited a traditional market in Da-an District (大安) to hand out pamphlets urging residents to vote tomorrow. However, two people wearing the department’s vest were also spotted calling on residents to vote for Chiang.
“It’s a serious violation of administrative neutrality and we need to stop public servants from campaigning for a specific candidate in such an obvious way,” DPP Taipei City Councilor Chuang Ruei-hsiung (莊瑞雄) said yesterday in front of Taipei City Hall.
PHOTO: LIN SHU-HUI, TAIPEI TIMES
DPP Taipei City Councilor Huang Hsiang-chun (黃向群) also condemned Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) for taking time off this week to campaign for Chiang, urging him to focus on municipal affairs.
The councilors later led a group of supporters to visit department commissioner of the department Huang Lu Ching-ru (黃呂錦茹) in her office, urging her to take responsibility and step down.
Huang Lu explained that the two people were volunteers invited by the Da-an district office to hand out pamphlets, but promised to take action if any city government staff were found campaigning for candidates during office hours.
Hau later acknowledged the impropriety of volunteers and borough chiefs campaigning for a specific candidate at events held by the department.
“I urge our staff to maintain administrative neutrality and will have the civil affairs department remind volunteers not to campaign for candidates,” he said yesterday at Chiang’s campaign headquarters.
When asked to comment on his campaigning for Chiang, Hau insisted that he had taken leave to participate in campaign events and that he had not violated any regulations.
Candidates made final efforts to drum up support on the streets of Da-an yesterday.
Campaigning for Chiang yesterday morning, KMT Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) urged voters to help the party win the by-election and crush former president Chen Shui-bian’s (陳水扁) dream of boosting the DPP’s momentum by winning the by-election and returning to politics someday.
DPP Chairperson Tsai Ing-wen (蔡英文), on the other hand, said support for the party’s candidate Chou Po-ya (周柏雅) had grown recently and urged supporters to vote for Chou and teach the KMT a lesson.
The by-election is being held to fill the seat left vacant by former KMT legislator Diane Lee (李慶安), who resigned when it was discovered she had dual citizenship.
Seven candidates are standing for the seat.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not