A group of protesters gathered outside the Mainland Affairs Council (MAC) yesterday, requesting a public debate with MAC Chairperson Lai Shin-yuan (賴幸媛) over the signing of an economic cooperation framework agreement (ECFA) with China and demanding the government hold a referendum on whether to sign an accord.
Holding placards that read “ECFA horseshit,” “Taiwan is not a part of China” and “ECFA needs a referendum, a referendum is the people’s right,” about 70 members of the Taiwan Referendum Alliance gathered outside the building where the MAC is located.
Chang Ming-yu (張銘祐), executive director of the association, said signing an ECFA would be tantamount to admitting that Taiwan was a special administrative region of China, citing the example of Hong Kong, which signed a closer economic partnership arrangement (CEPA) with China in 2003.
Chang criticized Lai for being reluctant to reveal the content of the planned ECFA and demanded that the government hold a referendum on whether to sign such an agreement.
“We would like to ask her whether it is the consensus of the Taiwanese people that we sign an agreement that will sell out Taiwan’s sovereignty and its economic interests,” Chang said. “We are also curious to know how such a major decision can be unilaterally decided upon by the Mainland Affairs Council.”
Chang said his organization wanted to challenge Lai to a public debate, saying the proposed economic accord would not solve the soaring unemployment problem and an over-reliance on China would lead the nation to its doom.
The crowd dispersed after the council invited alliance chairman Tsay Ting-kuei (蔡丁貴) for talks. Chang said they planned to return to the council next week to demand disclosure of the content of the proposed agreement.
MAC Deputy Minister Liu Te-shun (劉德勳) said it was too early to hold a debate on the issue because the council was still soliciting opinions from the pubic and government agencies.
Nor was it the best time to hold a referendum, he said, because the accord was an economic issue and until its framework was set it was premature to discuss whether its fate should be decided by a popular vote.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not