The suspension of the Maokong Gondola service on Oct. 1 after mudslides eroded the ground beneath a support pillar has sparked concerns over the system’s safety and its environmental impact despite the Taipei City Government’s guarantees that the system is safe.
Taipei Mayor Hau Lung-bin (郝龍斌) and other city officials attributed the mudslides to heavy rains brought by recent typhoons, saying the gondola’s operation was suspended to ease unnecessary anxiety about its safety. For Muzha (木柵) residents, however, the incident has reinforced their worries.
“We’ve never seen such serious mudslides in the neighborhood before. It must be the construction of the gondola system that damaged the mountain and caused these mudslides,” said Hsu Li-chuan (徐莉娟), director of a management committee in the Chi-Hsia Hill residential community.
The community, which is located near a gondola support pillar, was severely damaged by mudslides caused by Typhoon Jangmei when part of a cliff bearing two support pillars crumbled in the storm.
Chen Teh-yao (陳德耀), an architect who has been living in the area for more than 30 years, said residents had warned the city government about possible mudslides, as vegetation on the slopes was destroyed during the gondola’s construction.
The city government rushed the project without a proper assessment and the mudslides caused by the typhoons were solid proof that the construction was completed without proper soil and water conservation, he said.
Hsu, Chen and a group of residents living near the gondola system have been protesting since its planning stages. In addition to damaging the mountain’s geology, they said, the gondola system has also caused noise pollution and traffic congestion for the residents.
The Maokong Gondola, Taipei City’s first cable car system, was a major municipal project under former Taipei mayor Ma Ying-jeou’s (馬英九) administration and was aimed at developing tourism in Muzha.
The line, stretching from the Taipei City Zoo to Maokong, a popular area full of tea houses, cost the city more than NT$1.3 billion (US$39.3 million). It was opened to the public in July last year after a 12-week test run.
Frequent shutdowns because of operational failures in its early stages caused concerns, but the gondola soon became one of the city’s most popular tourist attractions, with passenger volume exceeding 5 million last month.
The city government did not halt the gondola’s service until two days after it learned of the mudslides and a 2.5m-deep hole left under a support pillar, leading to widespread criticism from residents and city councilors that city officials put the gondola’s operation and profit ahead of public safety.
“Why the urgency to resume operations immediately after the mudslides? What’s more important — money or human life?” Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) Taipei City Councilor Lee Ching-feng (李慶鋒) said.
Taipei City Secretariat Director Yang Hsi-an (楊錫安) said suspending operations would cost the Taipei Rapid Transit Corp (TRTC), the operator of the system, more than NT$45 million (US$1.4 million) per month.
DPP Taipei City Councilor Chien Yu-yen (簡余晏) said residents and some experts had predicted the environmental damage.
However, the city government dodged environmental assessments by applying for the construction license of a major transportation construction project.
“Residents have cried so many tears over the years in fighting for their safety, but what they got from the city government was its arrogance and negligence,” Chien said.
Hau said that the system was “absolutely safe” because the pillars were set into igneous rocks beneath the surface and the service was halted only to ease public anxiety.
The city government invited a group of civil engineering experts to conduct an evaluation on its stability.
Hau said services would not resume until the evaluation confirmed the system’s safety.
Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) Taipei City Councilor Lin Yi-hua (林奕華) said the city government needed to focus its efforts on public safety.
• The system began service in July last year
• Typhoon Jangmei caused a mudslide below a support pillar of the gondola last month
• A 2.5m hole was found under one of the support pillars
• The Taipei City Government suspended operation of the system on Oct. 1, two days after discovery of the hole
• The system will remain closed pending completion of an evaluation
‘EFFECTIVE DETERRENCE’: If the Biden administration suspends arms sales to Taiwan, the military could still ready a nimble fighting force for defense, an analyst said The “US Strategic Framework for the Indo-Pacific” last week sparked debate among analysts after US President Donald Trump declassified the document 20 years ahead of schedule. Trump on Tuesday last week released the document that had governed US strategic action in the region since the US leader approved its use in 2018. The document, which outlines US priorities in the region, emphasizes the importance of defending Taiwan against military aggression and facilitating the country’s development of asymmetric strategies and capabilities. The overall directive of the document is for the US to prevent China from establishing sustained air and sea dominance inside the first
SECOND RULING: Israeli-American Oren Shlomo Mayer refused to sign a court transcript, complained about the court translator and said the trial had been unfair The High Court yesterday upheld New Taipei City District Court’s verdicts on four men convicted last year in connection with the 2018 murder and dismemberment of a Canadian citizen on the banks of the Sindian River (新店溪). It found American-Israeli Oren Shlomo Mayer and American Ewart Odane Bent guilty of homicide and the abandonment and destruction of a corpse, with Mayer sentenced to life in prison and Bent given a term of 12 years and six months, for the death of Sanjay Ryan Ramgahan, whose body parts were found in a riverside park under Zhongzheng Bridge in New Taipei’s Yonghe
ALLEVIATING FEARS: The CECC would only announce public places where it is difficult to identify everyone there at the same time as the couple, minister Chen said The Central Epidemic Command Center (CECC) yesterday announced six places where two locally infected COVID-19 cases had visited between Thursday last week and Sunday, urging people who had been at the places at the same time to monitor their health. The couple, cases 838, a doctor, and 839, his nurse girlfriend, were reported by the center on Tuesday. The doctor had treated a patient with COVID-19 last week before he began suffering symptoms on Friday, while the nurse began suffering symptoms on Saturday. They work in the same hospital in northern Taiwan, but the nurse had not worked with COVID-19 patients, so
A legislator yesterday called for authorities to investigate the sale of Chinese-made, Internet-connected karaoke machines containing “propaganda songs.” Democratic Progressive Party Legislator Chen Ting-fei (陳亭妃) said she was approached by a person who had discovered Chinese patriotic songs such as My Motherland (我的祖國) — which is commonly referred to as China’s “second national anthem” — in Chinese-made karaoke devices sold in Taiwan. The machines are popular, as they can connect to the Internet, providing access to thousands of songs, she said. One retailer, who asked to remain anonymous, said that the machines first entered the local market about three years ago, starting with