About 10,000 Taiwanese expatriates are expected to return to the country to celebrate the Double Ten national day, the Overseas Compatriot Affairs Commission said.
Commission Chairman Wu Yin-yih (吳英毅) said that more than 8,000 expats had signed up to attend National Day celebrations and predicted that the number could reach 10,000, the highest in the last eight years.
Last year’s celebrations attracted about 3,000 expats, Wu said.
President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) will deliver a National Day speech at the celebration rally in front of the Presidential Office next Friday and will lead the participants in chanting “Long Live the Republic of China” (ROC) and “Long Live Taiwanese Democracy,” Presidential Office Spokesman Wang Yu-chi (王郁琦) said.
Ma said last week that this year’s celebrations were significant to the country and the Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) because it would be the first National Day since the party that had founded the ROC regained power after eight years.
The practice of the president addressing the National Day rally had been observed for years until former president Chen Shui-bian (陳水扁) canceled his speech last year to avoid a repeat of the disturbance caused by his opponents during a speech he made on the same occasion in 2006.
Chen and his predecessor, Lee Teng-hui (李登輝), have said they would not attend this year’s ceremony, Deputy Minister of the Interior Lai Feng-wei (賴峰偉) said a day earlier.
Legislative Speaker Wang Jyn-ping (王金平), who is also the chief organizer of the National Day Celebration Committee, said earlier this month that the budget for this year’s festivities was NT$45.09 million (US$1.48 million), including NT$11 million for a fireworks display.
The fireworks show will take place in Chiayi City and a party will be held in Hualien County in the evening. A military parade will not be part of this year’s program.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
A former soldier and an active-duty army officer were yesterday indicted for allegedly selling classified military training materials to a Chinese intelligence operative for a total of NT$79,440. The Taipei District Prosecutors’ Office indicted Chen Tai-yin (陳泰尹) and Lee Chun-ta (李俊達) for contravening the National Security Act (國家安全法) and the Anti-Corruption Act (貪污治罪條例). Chen left the military in September 2013 after serving alongside then-staff sergeant Lee, now an army lieutenant, at the 21st Artillery Command of the army’s Sixth Corps from 2011 to 2013, according to the indictment. Chen met a Chinese intelligence operative identified as “Wang” (王) through a friend in November
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not
The Grand Hotel Taipei has rejected media reports claiming that the hotel had prevented CBS from broadcasting coverage of the Beijing summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and Chinese President Xi Jinping (習近平) on its premises. Media reports alleging that the hotel owner, dissatisfied with CBS’s coverage, prohibited the network from broadcasting political content on the hotel premises, are not true, the hotel said in a statement issued last night. The reports were “inconsistent with how the hotel actually handled the matter,” it said. The hotel said it received a refund request from a