President Ma Ying-jeou (馬英九) met Chinese Nationalist Party (KMT) legislators for dinner yesterday, calling on them to pass a general budget bill and other bills before the new legislative session begins on Friday.
“The KMT has complete power over the country and we must take full responsibility … The government will strengthen communication with party legislators and hopefully the two sides will be more cooperative,” Ma said yesterday during dinner at the Taipei Guest House.
Ma will hold two other dinners with party legislators today and on Friday to hold discussions with them and seek the their support for his nomination of the Examination Yuan president, Control Yuan vice president, Control Yuan members and grand justices.
The Presidential Office will present the nomination list to the Legislative Yuan on Friday.
The legislature rejected Ma’s initial nominations of Chang Chun-yen (張俊彥) as Examination Yuan president, Shen Fu-hsiung (沈富雄) as Control Yuan vice president and three other nominees affiliated with the Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) during previous legislative session.
Premier Liu Chao-shiuan (劉兆玄), KMT Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung (吳伯雄) and top KMT officials were also present at the dinner.
Meanwhile, in the wake of the casualties and damage brought by Typhoon Sinlaku, Ma promised to visit disaster-hit areas in Taichung and Nantou today after being criticized for failing to address the needs of the victims and their families.
Presidential Office spokesman Wang Yu-chih (王郁琦) dismissed criticism of the Ma administration’s slow response to the disaster and said Ma would inspect the areas today.
DPP legislators criticized Ma yesterday for attending ceremony in Taipei yesterday while failing to inspect damaged areas.
DPP caucus whip Chang Hua-kuan (張花冠) told a press conference yesterday that Ma held a ribbon-cutting ceremony for the opening of Nankang Software park in the morning, attended a press conference at Kuo Kwang Biotechnology Company in the afternoon held a dinner with KMT legislators in the evening.
Chang said Ma did not care about the people who were affected by the typhoon.
She said Ma did not inspect Taichung County’s Houfeng Bridge (后豐橋), which collapsed on Sunday, Nantou County’s Fengchiu Tunnel (豐丘隧道), which was crushed by a mudslide, or the dangerous Lushan Hot Springs Area.
Chang also demanded that Liu resign over the collapse, claiming that it reflected the manner in which the Ma administration has ruled the country since May.
DPP Legislator Wong Chin-chu (翁金珠) said it was irresponsible for the government to only allocate NT$180 million (US$5.6 million) for repair work at 10 bridges deemed dangerous throughout the country.
KMT Caucus Secretary-General Chang Sho-wen (張碩文) dismissed criticism of the president, urging the DPP not to play the blame game amid the typhoon relief.
Chang said each government chief had his or her own responsibility, adding there was no need for the premier and the president to take inspection trips after every natural disaster.
Yangmingshan National Park authorities yesterday urged visitors to respect public spaces and obey the law after a couple was caught on a camera livestream having sex at the park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) earlier in the day. The Shilin Police Precinct in Taipei said it has identified a suspect and his vehicle registration number, and would summon him for questioning. The case would be handled in accordance with public indecency charges, it added. The couple entered the park at about 11pm on Thursday and began fooling around by 1am yesterday, the police said, adding that the two were unaware of the park’s all-day live
Yangmingshan National Park’s Qingtiangang (擎天崗) nature area has gone viral after a park livestream camera observed a couple in the throes of intimate congress, which was broadcast live on YouTube, drawing large late-night crowds and sparking a backlash over noise, bright lights and disruption to wildlife habitat. The area’s livestream footage appeared to show a couple engaging in sexual activity on a picnic table in the park on Friday last week, with the uncensored footage streamed publicly online. The footage quickly spread across social media, prompting a tide of visitors to travel to the site to “check in” and recreate the
Fast food chain McDonald's is to raise prices by up to NT$5 on some products at its restaurants across Taiwan, starting on Wednesday next week, the company announced today. The prices of all extra value meals and sharing boxes are to increase by NT$5, while breakfast combos and creamy corn soup would go up by NT$3, the company said in a statement. The price of the main items of those meals, if ordered individually, would remain the same. Meanwhile, the price of a medium-sized lemon iced tea and hot cappuccino would rise by NT$3, extra dipping sauces for chicken nuggets would go up
Minister of Digital Affairs Lin Yi-ching (林宜敬) yesterday cited regulatory issues and national security concerns as an expert said that Taiwan is among the few Asian regions without Starlink. Lin made the remarks on Facebook after funP Innovation Group chief executive officer Nathan Chiu (邱繼弘) on Friday said Taiwan and four other countries in Asia — China, North Korea, Afghanistan and Syria — have no access to Starlink. Starlink has become available in 166 countries worldwide, including Ukraine, Malaysia, the Philippines and Vietnam, in the six years since it became commercial, he said. While China and North Korea block Starlink, Syria is not